Maybe a dumb question?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by sailortoo, Jan 10, 2006.

1. sailortoo

sailortoo Junior Member

I have a 17' Watkins sailboat. I am hoping to learn how to sail. Question: The mast has a forestay and two sidestays (right terminology?). It does not have a backstay, HOWEVER, it does have a rope (sheet?) that is fastened at the top of the mast to the aft and is long enought to reach the boom. Does this attach to the aft of the boom for support or is it intended to be a backstay?

Told you it might be a dumb question.

Thanx,

sailortoo

2. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

From the way you have described it, I think that the line in question is the topping lift, which is there for supporting the boom when you lower the sail. It does attach to the after end of the boom, as you stated.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The stay on the forward side of the mast is called the headstay, the ones on the side are called shrouds. These shrouds are called the lower and the other is the upper (goes over a spreader in most cases) or is sometimes called a cap shroud.

You could very well have a topping lift on you mast, it could also be the mainsail halyard or a spare halyard. If you have a mainsail halyard (line that lifts the mainsail up the mast) then use it as a topping lift.

If your spreaders are angled aft a good bit then the shrouds may be taking the load, rather then having a fixed back stay. This is popular, so that a large roach mainsail can be used. Running backstays are also used on some boats. These need to be released at each tack an changed with the other side. This would be typical of racers or older style yachts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.