Mast / Spar removal - repair

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DNSeal, Jul 4, 2005.

1. DNSeal

DNSeal Junior Member

I am seeking advice on removing, repairing (painting, updating, etc) and/or replacing my masts. We have a 1977 62ft Alden Ketch motor-sailor with low aspect sails. The main is keel mounted; we've lowered the Mizzen. We are restoring the boat to very good condition and would like to upgrade the mast. The mast are in good condition but it would be to difficult to update in place. We are planning a haul out in August and would likt to know who to go about the repairs. We live in Miami, so the names of competent persons or companies in the area would be appreciated. Finally we have been told that the labor cost could be as high as a replacement, if this is so please provide direction or comments. I have posted a few images on the following site. I realize that there can be many variations as to what to do, so what we seek is initialy is the meat and potatoes information to get us on our way. Should you require further information please do not hesitate to e-mail me at gil442@bellsouth.net of call me at 305-710-0116. Thank you all

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dnsealmax/album?.dir=21e4&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

You failed to note weather the existing spars are aluminum or wood.

If wood all they need is a stripping sanding and quality paint (as long as there is no rot ).

Aluminum is evan easier as unless you wish to paint it all it needs is a good visual inspection (for corrosion) and perhaps new rigging wire.
    Hopefully the end terminals are Sta Lock , so all you need is some good wire, and a bit of time.

Nice boat!

FAST FRED

3. DNSeal

DNSeal Junior Member

Thanks Fred, the spars are aluminum and the cables are all crimmped type. I feel the mast is reusable, but who could take it down and repaint it for us. I don't want to pay yard fees to do this type of work... I have plenty more to do,... smile...

gil

4. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

I don't know of a good source in Miami, but Nance & Underwood are quality riggers that work on your size boat and larger. They are up the road in Lauderdale. 954-764-6001
    Jerry

5. DNSeal

DNSeal Junior Member

Thanks Jerry

Thanks, I put in a call and described what I am trying to do. In addition I found a company in St. Pete Fl (JSI). They stated that they could refinish and repair the mast for about $50.00 per foot. removal, shipping parts and reinstallation is on my own. To bad they are up there, it also seems a bit steep for repairs only. Hopefully Nance can help, including the removal and installation of the mast. Thanks again for the contact

gil

6. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Hi Gil,
    Glad I could help. Nance is rigging all the hardware for my boat, but I'll do the installation myself. I just awlgriped my spars myself; however I only have a 35' mast with which to deal. If I can help with anything else please feel free to email me.
    Jerry

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

YOUR ALUMINUM MAST DOES not "NEED" TO BE PAINTED ,
    IF YOU THINK IT LOOKS BETTER THAT WAY , THATS NICE , BUT HARDLY NECESSARY.

An enamel roller and white rustoleum will last as long as most (damage not wearing out kills most mast paint jobs) at almost no cost. Rustoleum white is only about $20 a gal.

"cables are all crimmped type"

I hope you mean the end fittings are roller swaged , if merly bent around a thimble and crimped with a Nicropress tool , YES YES do replace the rigging IMMEDIATLY!!!.

If the rigging is swaged it is fairly easy to purchase a "crack inspection kit" and look and inspect the lowers for cracks.
    If the rigging is OK it can usually be end for ended and reused.

If its shot , or the terminal ends are shot , rerigging with good wire and Sta Locks is within the skills level of most folks.

Purchase the Stay Locks from a source in England , and they will coat about 1/3 of the Ft Lauderdale scalpers. Worth a weeks wait,

FAST FRED

8. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

"An enamel roller and white rustoleum will last as long as most (damage not wearing out kills most mast paint jobs) at almost no cost. Rustoleum white is only about $20 a gal."

Gee, Fred I wish I would have known that before I spent time priming and coating my mast with 4 coats of awlgrip, sanding with 320 between each coat. Thats the great information I joined this forum to get.

9. DNSeal

DNSeal Junior Member

OK to all on the paint info

but what about the prep, do I need to strip the old paint down to the metal and then prime? Or could I simply sand rough and then paint? What about the few spots that have bare metal exposed?

gil

Stay loc for 1/3rd the price... I'm there

10. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

I am assuming you would like to do a 5 year finish. Fred is correct in one thing. It doesn't HAVE to be done. But to do it correctly the fittings should be taken off, the mast should be coated with an acid wash that most of the better coating manufactures sell. Then 2 coats of a 2 part primer. The top coat should be a min. of 3 coats of a good 2 part coating such as Awlgrip, but there are other mfg's as well. It is not difficult, but VERY labor intensive. If you do the wash then roll and tip the primer (need to sand between coats all by hand because the mast has too much curve to use a machine) it is not too expensive to have someone come in and just spray the top coats. You will have an auto showroom finish if you prime and sand well. Awlgrip (US paint) has a very informative web site.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

If you wish to use Awlgrip or any other fancy paint ,

first, READ the cautions on ventilation , and the recomendations on using a full pressure suit with remote air for the spray operator.

The stuff can cause about 10 types of cancer , as well as brain damage if inhaled.

More important that the cost of the paint is the preperation of the "substrate" ,as the pricy paints call it.

Clean , lightly sanded ,150 max , and a primer of zinc chromate sprayed on will help you get the full life.

WE use outboard motor underwater primer , cheap & avilable easily for touchups,made for aluminum in a marine enviroment.

If your going to the Bahamas , or any place there is a gaggle of boats ,
    a stop at the truck stop for some marker reflecting tape is worthwhile.

While coming back from shore "festivites" a quick swing of the flashlight at the mast tops will show which of the pack is your home.

Mast head reflectors ,Work for me,

but I;m one of the folks who prefers to clean & polish the spar as damage , corrosion and other problems are far easier to see in the bare aluminum.

Paint hides too much.

FAST FRED

12. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Right on all points Fred, Thats why I suggested having a pro do the top coat spraying. I did my own, but I was outside and used a small Prevalve spray bottle. Worked great.
    Jerry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.