Mast replacement

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by stephan shugart, Oct 19, 2002.

1. stephan shugart

stephan shugart Junior Member

Does anyone have experience with changing from wood masts to alumuinum masts. Is it possible to change both masts in a ketch without tearing the whole boat apart. The displacemant of the boat is 26400lbs with a LWL of 30'4" and LOA of 37'4" with a sail area of 567 Sq. Ft. I'm not sure if when measuring sail area for a ketch that they include the mizzen. I would like to increase the sail area if possible. But don't I also need to replace the wooden part of the mast that goes down into the hull of the boat.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yes, it is possible. You will have to modify the existing mast step to mount the aluminium mast base, possibly modify the deck/cabin roof opening to suit the different shape of the aluminium mast, and buy or create a new mast boot to keep the wet out. Presuming that you are keeping the same sailplan, you should be able to keep the rigging points on the hull the same.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.