Lift and drag coefficients for sails and foils

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by poul, Jan 19, 2003.

1. albcem

albcem New Member

I am not sure what your intentions are but I think you would be better off using a true 3D model with the proper wind gradient and turbulence modeling and possibly sail flexing characteristics. Else you are guaranteed to have ??? about the validity of your findings based on 2D potential flow solution with thousand corrections you need to address the 3D, turbulence and sail/foil flex characteristics and the atmospheric wind gradient...

Cem

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009

2. David Le Pelley

David Le Pelley New Member

I would agree. The twist due to the apparent wind and velocity gradient varies significantly up the mast, even for upwind sailing. A wing mast angle of attack stays the same with height, but the sail segment behinds it naturally changes in twist with height. I think a 2D slice is too big a simplification...?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.