Laser as first sailboat.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by kroberts, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Hi,

I'm contemplating a Laser as a first sailboat. I don't have a specific one in mind, just beginning the decision process.

I've been on one which belongs to a friend of mine. I like it, I can sail it but there are definitely some things I need to learn. That's not what I'm asking about though, just giving background.

There are several things I would like to know:
    1. What do I need to look out for when buying?
    2. If something is missing or broken, how do I determine the price to fix it? How hard is it to find parts?
    3. The scupper on these boats seems to be a bad design. Is there a better one I can use that doesn't fit so poorly?

Questions about transport:
    1. I've seen a dolly that uses the centerboard hole to hold the axle. Is this a good idea or a bad one as far as boat strength?
    2. I'm going to car-top it. Right side up or upside down?
    3. Is it worth it to rout a support that follows the contour of either top or bottom of the hull (depending on the answer to the previous question), or will just foam or carpet do the trick?

Thanks.

2. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Check the mast step carefully.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

A Laser is probably the best first sailboat anyone could own. Why?

You'll get out on the water and use it! It's so easy to maintain, beat on and bring to and from the water that you'll be excited and have fun any time you feel the wind pick up and decide to go sailing.

There is no substitute for that carefree sailing feeling which I no longer have with large boats.

As to really inspecting it... it's a Laser! Just buy it and beat the $O*% out of it. You'll have fun and learn a lot about sailing because Lasers are very unforgiving boats. A good amount of sail area for a small little hull you balance with your weight as ballast.

Get the hang of doing that and you'll build sailing skills that people who start on big boats never learn.

Go for it!

4. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

There are many "buying a Laser discussions" on the Internet. Search the Dinghy Anarchy subforum on Sailing Anarchy for some really comprehensive answers. All your questions have been asked and answered.

Flat side down is easier on the important side of the boat. High density foam at all contact points works fine. Don't rachet down tie straps to the point where you get deformation of the hull. Always protect your hull bottom.

--
    CutOnce

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Laser

Here is the Fleet directory for District 20 including the Chicago area. Contact your local fleet for help. http://d20.laserforum.org/
    Click on "Fleet Directory" for the guys closest to you....

Also:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-For-Buying-a-Laser-Sailing-Dinghy&id=4153779

http://www.lasertrader.org/

----
    Here's a short article ( http://hubpages.com/hub/Laser-Dinghy-Tips-About-the-Best-Sailing-Dingy ) :

Laser Dinghy For Sale - Tips When Buying a Laser Dinghy
    Lasers are popular because they are so versitile, but this popularity also gives them a dangerous quality. Different companies all over the world are popping up promising that they are selling a 'laser' dinghy. Some of these are valid claims, but most are not. You need to be equipped with the right information, therefore, before you purchase a laser dinghy. Know the specs, and the history - which have been noted above - but also take advantage of the tips I will list below. The economy is poor as it is - you don't need to waste any more money into it.

First thing first. Make sure your Laser dingy is actually a laser sailing dinghy. Every official laser will have a sailboat sail number inscribed into the deck, or - if it's newer - in the back of the cockpit. Numbers that are less that 148199 will be in the deck and everything above will be in the cockpit; keep this mind when checking the authenticity of the dinghy boat, as well as age and quality.

Next thing you should do is inspect the physical ability of the boat; it's like checking the odometer of the car, sort to speak. There is no odometer on a sailboat, however, so you have to be a bit more ingenious. The general rule of the thumb for the deck is is if it has a lot of give - meaning it's not very stiff - then its had a lot of use. Check the give of the main areas of the boat - the front of the boat, and the cockpit are the most important - to gauge the quality and age. Also check for cracks. If there are a lot of cracks on the hull or deck this means that there has likely been leaking and damage; this will tell you that the boat has had a lot of use, and that - coupled with the amount of give - should tell you the overall quality of the dinghy.

Next check the sail for any serious signs of wear and tear. A new sail with a crisp feel to it; it may even feel a little stiff. As a sail is used it will lose it's stiffness, acquire creases, and maybe even a few small rips. A good sail is vital in having a good laser dinghy. Also note what kind of sail it is and if it can be made bigger or smaller depending on what kind laser rig you choose to you.

Another vital part of your laser dinghy is the mast and boom - also known as the Spars. These are both made from aluminum and can be easily bent; bent Spars is a common occurrence from everyday sailing, but - and this is a big but - they should be able to be bent back afterwards. If it is permanently bent you may want to think twice about the dinghy boat you are looking at.

The fact is is that laser dinghies are small and robust and can handle a lot of wear and tear; but, like all things, there is a limit. Be sure to check everything on your laser dinghy - don't let any nook or cranny go unchecked and take great detail of any cracks, give of the hull, or anything else out of place. You have to be your own personal, portable, odometer; make sure you know what your buying before you get out onto the water.

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

This is so true. Big boats are also a big responsability. Small dinghies are pure fun! :)

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You guys have never owned a Santa Cruz 50 . . .

8. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Thanks, I found a FAQ on laserforums.org.

I noticed that a laser 2 can have a jib and spinnaker too, and a trapeze. Can you do this on a laser 1? I'm asking because I think it would extend the useful lifespan of the boat to me, it would be a shame to get bored with it after I get better at sailing.

That all said, I still have a hankering for a boat not quite like what everyone else has. It would be neat to have a boat which could race in the same class as a laser but be an obviously wooden boat.

@PAR: That's my OTHER boat. :)

9. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Officially and practically you can not. Once you change a Laser in any permanent way, it is no longer a Laser. Dinghies have quite extensive class rules defining exactly what the boat is, exactly what latitude you have in it's rigging and configuration etc. Lasers are VERY strict about this. That being said, some very demented individuals have "frankenboated" Lasers to add spinnakers, stays and trapezes. Search for Frankenboat.

You aren't going to lose money on a used Laser buy, so buy one, sail it for a couple years and you'll be able to sell it without losing a dime. Then go buy something else.

There is NO wooden option if you are sailing a Laser. There are lots of wooden options (especially if you look towards Australia), but they can't sail as a Laser. The Farr 3.7 comes to mind, as does the Sabre.

Just go buy one off Craigslist or Kijiji and start sailing now. Don't pay too much and follow the Laserforum (or Dinghy Anarchy) guidelines. On Dinghy Anarchy look for posts by "Gouvernail" - he's a former Laser Class President in the US and crusty, but absolutely encyclopedic in his Laser knowledge.

BTW, Gouvernail means Rudder in French.

--
    CutOnce

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

If you want a wooden "Laser", you'll likely have to build one.

What a great project!

You may want to buy a real one in the mean time, then sell it when yours is ready to fly.

-Tom

11. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hmmm...many questions ???? Hard to answer in a paragraph. . Lasers are lightly built sport boats. Great, Fun boats !! , and just like thousands...perhaps millions of sailors before you.... you will learn much about high performance boats and fast sailing ....but Lasers show age rapidly.

As was pointed out...mast steps wear fast.....hulls and cockpits go soft.... centerboard trunks are easily damaged....

I suggest you go for it and have fun......but drive a hard bargain ...avoid paying premium for a Laser

13. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Interesting.

I always thought the death roll was the one sitting under the heat lamp so long the frosting bubbled down onto the tray, and the cinnamon and bread cooked into a semi-petrified chewy mass likely to come out in approximately the same condition it went in.

I guess there are two things going on in my head.

First, it would be nice to have a racing boat that can compete with near Chicago. Lots of lasers on the lake.

Second, it would be nice to have a wood boat finished clear so it looks like wood, that I can take an insanely soggy and wiggly rottweiler on. I like the looks of an Alexa's Rocket AR15 with the wet deck. I also like a Core Sound 17 or 20. That gorgeous one they have in the pics (CS17) with the hand made pulleys and all that, wow!

So, ideally, I would have a 1-2 seat wooden racer with a wet deck that can take a jib and spinnaker (and trapeze and wet dog) should I ever get good enough to handle them.

Looks like my first boat may be a laser.

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming if you have something to add!

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If you would like to sail in regattas, its important to have a bunch of mates to sail with.

If the local gang all have Lasers...get a Laser !!!! If the local boys all sail old rubber tires..GET AN OLD RUBBER TIRE !!!!!!!

Sailing is best when you can do it with a bunch of mates...then hit the shore for cold beer and sea stories.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Since you're willing to consider a larger boat but seem to like the one design nature of the Laser, why don't you consider a Lighning? Large fleet in Chicago
    and used boats available for 500 on up. Great bunch of people who would gladly get you into one before you put any money down. This is a boat that would allow daysailing and racing and would allow you to grow into spinnaker sailing.
    used boats: http://www.lightningclass.org/marketplace/classifieds/boats.asp

The Chicago fleet: http://www.corinthian.org/lightning/

http://www.lightningclass.org/

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.