Keelchange baltic 42

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steffen, Jun 27, 2006.

1. steffen

steffen New Member

My baltic 42 from 1988 ,a Doug Peterson design ,built in SA fom Cenmaine unde the name magnum 42 has more than 8 ft daft.
    I would like to chop 2 ft off the keel to be more flexible for cruising.
    Does anybody know what shape of bulb I have to attach on the shortened keel?

2. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Don't do it!

Most people would buy a tonne of ferrus ****** to have one as big as that.

Chris@Kristoria

3. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Dear Steffen,

If you really get fead up with this boat, please give me first refusal.

Regards,
    Chris@Kristoria

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Steffen,

The change you propose is possible. Go to my website: http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/Magic.htm which gives a story on the keel for the Cambria 44 Magic. The bulb design that I use there is what I call a beavertail/swallowtail bulb (BS bulb for short--chuckle!) It works very well.

Eric

5. Kristoria

Kristoria New Member

Dear Stefen,

Dont go there! With breathtaking sleek lines the Baltic 42 is an absolutley brilliant boat Peterson designed, who nobody can doubt is an absolutley brilliant designer. It's very, very hard to find better as I'm sure you already know, leave it alone and take slightly longer tender/dinghy rides. You know it makes sense. A similar boat the Beneteau 435 of the same era could be bought with a drop keel from 9ft something down to 11ft 2 inch if I remeber correctly and that's still a winning and wish list boat - & on many a sailors list.

Chris@Kristoria

6. enrico s

enrico s New Member

Baltic

Dear Steffen,
    I've read Your post. I'm willing to buy a DP42 and some guys are offering me the same model You have, the one made in SA by Cenmarine. While a perfectly know the boat built in Finland I don not have any idea about the model built in SoutAfrica. Could You please give me Your impression? Where did You buy it? Thanks for cooperation, have a good day.
    enrico

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.