keel-hull connection

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Cvicek, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Cvicek

Cvicek New Member

Sorry to trouble you with something, which is probably a basic thing, but I would like to know as much as possible before I do something wrong.

story:
    We have a Beneteau First 345, launched in 1986 (bought last year) and just a month ago the head of the last bolt (the sternmost one) tore off, the back side of the keel dropped by an inch and she started leaking.

problem:
    what way is an iron keel usually connected to a fiberglass hull: Just bolts and sealed?
    What would be normal length of the bolts (for 34 footer)? (The trouble is we haven't managed to get them out yet, they are so rusted)
    What would be the best way of repairing it?
    Or better - Where could I get some drawings or plans of the construction detail?

I would be grateful for any answers.

Thanks,

J.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Keel bolts and Grp hulls

I have not worked on the exact class as your boat but have worked on quite a few similar boats, If an iron Keel it is quite normal for stainless steel studs to be threaded into the keel probably to a depth of 3 to 4" They may also be drilled longer with nuts set in pockets on the side of the keel but this is only normal with lead keels. The keel is normally sealed with two pack polysulphide mastic.
    If the keel has dropped by an inch at the rear end and is leaking i would suspect she has had a good bounce on a sandbank or something, you should have a very close look at all structural members and hull skin in the keel area to see if there are any broken bonds or hull cracking.
    It is virtually certain the keel will have to come off to get the broken studs out and to reseal it.
    There are a lot of boats of this keel type type around and i have seen several whose keels were flapping around not really attached to the internal structure. Good luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.