K800

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Schoonner, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

All is not well, The cuts I made were not even top to bottom through the board. The biggest area I have to work from is 14 cm high. That's okay, I will just make it 131 to 1 scale instead of 120 to 1.

here goes nuthin =0)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I realized how much noise I'm making so I decided to stop for the night. =0)
    [​IMG]

3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

BTW! clean up the area you just got foam all over right away, and before letting pets into the area since the stuff can be inhaled, but not exhaled.

4. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I never went to bed. My cats came in, I read a letter and it will be no use trying to go to bed.

I made a mistake, but I think I like it.

I probaly better explain that one huh.

Sorry, but I can't without pictures so here's a picture.

[​IMG]

I cut too fat into the side of the hull at station "b" err bulwark B err whatever you call it. Anyways on the low chine I cut too deep and will have to repair the damage and just try to cut D better. =0) This is my first foam model from scratch =0)

But, that's not the mistake that I enjoyed making.

I cut frame A too short. =0( I can add to it, but I have a better idea. It will make the deck a little more scary without the right treatment, but maybe it will handle anyways and ultimately have more head room.

How am I going to do that? Well, I'll ask Alik a question and hope he will answer me. =0)

[​IMG]

Would the boat still be stable if the prow were only 982mm high instead of 1102? I accidentally cut the top low, but the same width as the plan and the same bottom. So it is like it is squished down from top to bottom. I cut a straight line from the top of D through B to the top of A. Would it cause a problem when a wave hits the prow to leave it that way and just follow a cruved line up and back along the length of the boat making the boat more of a football shape? Yeah, I know, the Bayliner Buccaneer all over again :eek:

EDIT, I mean like make the deck line a gentle curve like a bullet from the top of A to the top of H. Maybe try to keep the same side profile, just with straight lines.

5. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I can understand not wanting to take the time to translate this into English. It doesn't really matter to me because I don't know what half the words in English mean anyways. I'm standing here building a model so that maybe some day I can design one myself, or maybe with someone on the other side of the world. That, to me, would be cool!! Anyways, I don't need money, I don't need anything like that. What I need is to some day design the best damned boat anyone has ever seen.

I appologize for not asking you if I might build a model from your plans. I thought that the owners of the plan mysteriously disappeared. I read that the designer was some guy who made good in the press and then the website closed and nobody could get support. I therefore supposed that there was no way to contact the designer and that only about 10 boats had ever been built.

I am teaching myself how to build a boat from plans if it kills me. I don't care if the instructions are in Italian or swahili and I have no idea why it says to fold wood. (That's what happened with my first wooden model from an ancient Italian model schooner kit my neighbor gave me. It even had cannons, but I thought the instructions were a bad translation into english, so I just built it anyways.) It's not doing too well after some pieces were thrown away by a girl I had living here and the cat got to it.

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

This is how I am carving the model. I measure the vertical and horizontal positions for each chine at each frame. I carve away what I know will not be even close to the model so that I have a semi flat surface to draw my marks on.

After I've marked the outer area both vertically and horizontally, I make some cuts to that exact point. One cut is to the depth horizontally, and the other is the depth to the vertically, and finally the last cut is across side to side to the depth both horizontally and vertically to find the point inside the foam and cut the rest out of the way so I know where point is inside and make it the outside of the shape.

like this:[​IMG]

EDIT:: that cut the knife is stuck in right now is a vertical cut to a depth of 1.7mm where the second lowest chine is. I will then make a horrizontal cut that is 1.7mm deep from where the last cut was. The next cut after that will separate the piece at the exact required depth for the chine. I then just make a vertical cut along the angle between the two points and that is the outside of the hull. Understand or do you need more pictures?

7. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Now, I know where two of the chines are on frame D. I just need one more section cut out, and then I can simply cut away the corners that jut out along a line segment between the two points. and that will be the line for the hull at frame D. Then I play connect the dots between frame B and frame D in straight lines. If you don't know what frame B and frame D are, a link to the plans is here: http://www.boatdesign.net/nyd/K800/

[​IMG]

8. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Now, as long as I can see the blade between the two corners, I know I will hit the low chine in the right place and can safely remove material because the material will not be part of the hull. This is not the right angle to cut, I'm removing material so I can cut a straight line on the correct angle.

In case anybody is wondering, I could not find instructions like this so, I made up a method of my own.

[​IMG]

9. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

This is close to the correct angle to cut along. You can barely see my mark I made with the knife. That mark is the bottom most chine. The groove the tip of the knife is following is where the lower middle chine will be. This sets the dimensions at frame D, but I will have to cut the lower middle chine from frame b to d still. It will be a simple point to point cut, then I will cut away the material to the depth of the cut.

[​IMG]

10. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

There, now the dimensions for frame on the bottom have been found and I will make a cut for the next angle of the hull. I'm leaving a slight amount of extra material onboard so that I can safely sand it away and have a nice finish when it is completed.

[​IMG]

11. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Here is the last cut to make the rough dimensions for frame D. It is on a straight line from the upper chine to the upper middle chine.

[​IMG]

12. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

now it is just a matter of shaving it from frame D to frame B in straight lines following the chine angles.

13. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Almost there:

[​IMG]

This last cut should do it. =0)

[​IMG]

14. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

GRRR! I knocked it over and the foam broke so now I'm gluing it back together. maybe I will have time to work on it tomorrow.

EDIT:: Then I wrapped the electrical tape holding it together too tightly.

[​IMG]

15. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I just thought of a new method for carving this out. I'm going to try drawing the next frame down the hull on the flat surface I made, then cut straight down to the next frame.

It worked:
    [​IMG]

She's starting to look like a KAV 800. Imagine that!!

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.