K800

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Schoonner, Dec 19, 2011.

1. martinworswick

martinworswick Junior Member

i get the impression(i may be wrong) that he's building a model for the sake of building a model,he has no interest in building a full size version and the only thing he wants to test is his own skills.

i'm quite enjoying following this little project actually and i look forward to seeing it completed!

2. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

That is correct. I will be trying to fit her witn an innovation of my own. Just wait till you see it... :idea:

I have already learned a LOT from doing this model. I will be fitting her with different rigs like maybe a swing rig since I like it's simplicity and eventually a new composite mast that might revolutionize composite mast making because it is a REAL fractal from top to bottom inside and out and will be a 6 sided star with a star shaped hole down the middle. (Triangles and hexagons throughout)
    Then if Craig Calfee, from Calfee Designs, likes my mast I may be able to work with him to grow a sailboat like he grows bikes. (From bamboo.) I didn't want to let any secrets out that he and I may work on in the future, so I've been close lipped about it. :cool:

3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

EDIT:: Maybe he uses rattan? Check it out, I just found it in my history. I thought of it before I found that he grows his shapes too. We used to write email a long time go and I wanted to make a carbon fiber spring made from layups of mesh like a chain link fence wrapped around elastomer back when I designed bicycles for fun. :D

Oh yeah, the link... http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/09/growing-bamboo/

EDIT! You should see the two wheels in front bike... err trike... that my dad made!! It balances like a dream around corners because your weight is 1/3 the distance between the "axels" forward of the rear hub and your feet are in front of the front hub sunder a bar that goes from the back hub to a paired set of forks. Well, they were the same length anyways. LOL! No two bikes are the same and we bought a bunch of free bikes and a tandem off Graigslist and my uncle who is a welder chopped them up and made the frame with twin tie rods.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

My new mast sleeve :D Carbon fiber bar stolen out of a lightning resistant umbrella. You would not believe the many uses for broken umbrellas in RC modeling. I've even bought umbrellas and taken them outisde in the wind just so they would break and then I could use them for parts. :D Took too damned long for this one to break. I'd had it almost a full year here in Western Washington before it broke. See what $12.00 for an umbrella gets you? Lots of sail material and carbon fiber rods. ;)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Look, it's even already slotted so the mast will snap in place with a piece of plastic and a spring... It needs to be cut wider though. Humm, I don't think I should use a carbon fiber sleeve and a metal mast because it might start to corrode or whatever it is called..

[​IMG]

Cough! Cough! Don't cut carbon fiber inside the house with a hacksaw since it will irritate your throat. Well, I almost died on a corndog when I reached up up to shut the garage door at storage building, so my throat might be irritated by that.

@ Alik

Does the mast have any rake with the original sail plan? It doesn't look like it does. If I wanted to put a lanteen sail on her would the mast need to be moved forward or backward? I wish I had enough room to make the mast adjustable for different rigs. So that I can learn to pilot different rigs.

5. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

While the glue dries I will post some pics.

Temporary batten for to make a space for the center wood piece.

[​IMG]

The shape on the right is better than the shape on the left. So, now I know :D I like my idea of cutting out and re-using the frames, but since I cut the centers out of the front frames I will have to leave them in or start over. The very front of the deck will be difficult if not impossible to replace, so It will need layers of sealants. :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

[​IMG]

I had to strengthen the joint on the left. maybe I should add a piece of wood in the right so that they are balanced? I knew it would be a problem after I saw what it was like when I cut it out.
    [​IMG]

Who needs glue when you got skills like this? I wish I could get a close up. It fits perfectly!!!! I LOVE it! LOL! :D

Wood - WAY better than paper! Thanks! LOL! (Shoulda figured that I suppose.)
    [​IMG]

EDIT::: Now for the sad part, I only have one 1/16 x 1/4 x 36 inch plank. =0( Sad day!

7. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

This is how I should have done the whole thing from the beginning!! What was I thinking!??!!

[​IMG]

8. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

It takes a lot more work making wooden frames than it does just cutting out the paper ones. It also has to be more exact. I think next time I will try it out of kidex or whatever it is called... Maybe fiberglass with all it's nastiness is just the way to go since I can lay it up flat between some wax papers and then draw on it and cut it out. This one broke when I was installing it. I guess I really needed more than 1/8th inch of wood there. Wouldn't have mattered with full size boat though cause it would be 240 times larger. LOL!:D

[​IMG]

I made lots of progress this morning, but I hate the glue I have now since I have to keep it 90 degrees in here in order for it to set in 3 minutes or so.
    [​IMG]

9. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I hope I'm not making a mistake using all my wood up on temporary supports, I might have to start looking on the ground for corndog sticks.

10. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I just proved a theory. If I start gluing the strakes to the frames and they are warped then I put pressure on the side with the largest degree of angle away from center I can tune this like a spoked wheel as I assemble it. YAY!!!

EDIT:: see, the bottom is much straighter! LOL! well, till the stern... They are warped because It gets soggy living in an aluminum can.

[​IMG]

Which reminds me, I am going to use thread as well as super glue to try and keep this thing together for a while. I will use the threads when I put the outside on her, maybe nylon will be good if I seam seal it with stuff for tents? LOL! I was going to try to save that for sail material... Oh well we will see what actually happens. =0)

11. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

There, frame "L" is done. Well, the bottom half anyways. :D

The thread loosened up while it was drying and did no good so I had to hold it like a football :cool:

[​IMG]

12. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I just "wrecked" my house with my sub woofer and it is only 5 inch speaker and not turned up all the way. to "wreck" = knock things off shelves and pictures off the wall =0)

I built the speaker box with a harman kardon speaker.

Oh yeah, speakers are why I can figure out volume and understand frequencies. HEY!! I think that probably the reason people can't simulate sharkskin very well might be because maybe shark skin is a fractal and only works with the right shapes plugged in so that the water ripples at the correct frequency for slipperiness.

13. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I wonder if 15 hp outboard with a long shaft would get her to do 7 or 8 knots. :?: Not that I'm completely comfy at 8 knots with anything bigger than 4 inch chop. LOL!:D

14. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I don't know about splitting carbon fiber rods, and the ones I have are too thick by far. I am wondering if fiberglass resin will adhere to fishing line. I have a box of miles of old fishing line and if it will stick to it, I think I just found the best mat material for how I want to weave composites. :D YAY for free stuff!

15. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

:idea:I got an idea!

I decided that since superglue, sticks at least temporarily, to fishing line, and resin might stick permanently, I can make a woven line basket over the prow in an intricate weave and spot glue it together with superglue. :D

THe line you see here, is stuffed into a hole made by a little green piercing tool that came with some of the super glue I use.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry it is so difficult to see, there are two strands in the second pic, one is close to the hull, the other is new and sticks up. This is where I will attempt to weave a spinnaker pole. These would be carbon fiber poles on a full sized K800. Through hull is not ideal, but since your glassing it anyways it can be glassed through the prow to the other side and beyond to the second frame. (Too much work on this tiny thing!! inside an already made frame anyways =0))

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.