Jongert or Robert Brasted

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by triggerfish, Oct 14, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Supposedly, the only significant change Humphry Bogart made to his sailboat Santana was the addition of a drink holder around the base of the binnacle.

One night after a race in which Santana coasted past another yacht, Bogart was asked, "What makes the boat go like that?" Bogie said "Scotch" and then just walked away. :)

http://www.thesantana.com/history/bogartBacall3.html

2. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Trigger, what a lovely looking yacht, you're a very fortunate man. Congratulations!

3. triggerfish

triggerfish Junior Member

Yes, thank you very much. Hopefully people can see why I wasn't overly bothered what make she was and indeed why I was confused in the first place.. She was offered to me for a price that I wouldn't have refused, had she been a tin can floating down a river ! ! ! Theres a lot of boat in a 75 footer and I have my work cut out for the next 5 years. But she'll be worth it.. I have also managed to contact the Sussman family in Miami Beach, Fl, who owned her in the 80s... Wonderful. Thanks again for your help guys...

4. triggerfish

I have had a last try at uploading a recent picture. Would someone please be kind enough to let me know if it works..... Thanks...

Attached Files:

• sp01.JPG
      sp01.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Yes, it works.

6. Manolo

Manolo New Member

Hello Triggerfish and everybody. New member here, just came across your posts on this Robert Brasted design since I myself was looking for some info on this designer. There's a potential good deal on a 64 ft Brasted motorsailer that has been drydocked for over 4 years. I have been told she was built by Ocean Folly, but I haven't been able to find any info on this shipbuilder. She is very similar to the Neffertiti design Tad posted.
    Anybody knows anything about this Ocean Folly yard? They say hull material is "composite". Would that be anything similar to Nefertiti's timber and epoxy techniques?

Thanks!
    Manolo

7. triggerfish

Hi Manolo, well if anyone can help you then these guys can !!!! They all proved incredibly helpful to me, definately the best starting point!!!!!
    If you have any pics then upload them.... Ocean folly doesn't ring any bells with me I'm afraid but investigate Southampton water.. There have been many ship builders in this area over the years and the Folly Inn pub still stands and serves a great pint at the top of the River Hamble. There may be a connection...
    I will do a little research and get back to you......

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I've never heard of them but Ocean Folly sounds like the best/worst name ever for a boat builder.......really inspires confidence.......:rolleyes:

The piece on Nefertiti I posted above does claim "2 boats sold"....I seem to recall an unfinished one being listed for sale for many years in Yachting World....and yes, occasionally you will see a fiberglass sheathed cold-molded hull referred to as composite.......

9. Manolo

Manolo New Member

OceanFolly

Thank you gentlemen. Yes, I agree the name could be the worst/best...
    Dates seem to add up: this one is advertised as being built in 1982 - the article on Nefertiti is dated june 1980. Although the interiors are different: this one boasts an "spacious aft state room with en-suite bathroom comprising bath, shower, electric toilet and laundry washing machine with dryer". Impressive.
    The engine is a 185 HP Ford Mermaid.
    I have attcd a picture, which resembles very closely Nefertitis profile. Apologies for the low resolution.

Attached Files:

10. Robert Brasted

Robert Brasted New Member

Robert Brasted address

Glad you found all the paperwork. You may not have my current address though. If you need to contact me use robert.brasted@fsmail.net .
    The appeared and disappeared bit mentioned somewhere, is because I got bored with yacht owners and from roughly 1980 onward, concentrated on designs for overseas aid and related overseas project appraisal and management. Now a firmly retired 73 year old
    By the way, Ocean Folly, originally the same design as Nefertiti, has been messed around structurally by an incompetant owner/shipwright and I have written to the then owner making clear that I disown the changes made and would no longer approve the vessel.

11. Manolo

Manolo New Member

Dear Mr Brasted, thank you for your time and indications.
    As a matter of fact I visited the boat in the shipyard this weekend and was sadly impressed. The boat has been so long on the dry that she must have been taken as abandoned and the interiors seem to have been vandalized.
    Nonetheless, I was impressed with all the space and volume belowdecks and the confy decksaloon. Less impressed with some of the ammenities the owner had fitted: fixed (not gimballed) burners, 2 door vertical fridge, dishwasher and washing machine, just like the ones in my kitchen...

I went down there with a friend of mine and the idea of maybe buying the boat to fix her up and re-sell her, but I think it'd be definitely not worth the work, especially after you mentioning the structural messing around.

Thank you for your time, enjoy a healthy retirement.

Fair winds,
    Manolo

12. triggerfish

Hey Manolo,

I am selling Spirit of Labrador so if its a Robert Brasted you are after that requires finishing then let me know !!!!! Theres plenty work left to do and a profit to be had for the right person !!

Dave..

13. Manolo

Manolo New Member

Thanks Dave. To be honest, we were looking at this design because she happened to be in this yard close to our location, not because we were looking for a specific designer. Thanks anyway and goo luck with your sale.
    Manolo

14. kerriokie

kerriokie New Member

Hi All,

I came across this discussion while Googling some info on the Spirit of Ladrador. My uncle sailed on the yacht in 1981 for a few weeks. The owner at the time was a friend of my Dad. Recently my uncle started telling me about the adventure and I want to write it as a short story.

I'm not a sailor so I need to do a lot of research first. But I just wanted to say that from what I've heard (and read) it sounds like it was quite the party boat at one time. My uncle was 20 at the time and had never been crew on a yacht, but he speaks of the trip fondly (and very entertainingly).

Kerriokie

15. Robert Brasted

Robert Brasted New Member

Just for the record, I designed Spirit of Labrador back in 1972 for an Australian dentist working in the UK, Dick Maguire. She was originally named Barrenjoey (that's a small kangaroo, I think) I don't really keep up to date with this forum, so this reply may have become irelevant.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.