John Spencer's designs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Milan, May 20, 2005.

1. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Hi Rouse...

Damn, I knew Rouseabout was a 30....I think when I was writing that post I got Rouseabout's name in my head when I should have been writing about Finesse (????) or some other Serendipity that won its class in that Melb-Devonport. As you say, the 28 and 30 are quite different, albiet with a strong family resemblance.

I thought that was a Modern Boating article; I think I have it in my collection. I also have photocopies of Spencer's remarks about the Spencer 30 and some pics of the timber ones, from a NZ Sea Spray, but I think one of the kids took apart my scanner.

I don't think the NZ Sea Spray article had a line drawing but contacting Firebug should get you one.

I seem to recall Rouseabout doing well in SA half ton racing, which appears to have been largely a Pion 30/Spencer 30 match up.

2. rouseabout

rouseabout New Member

The guy I bought Rouseabout from told me that she had done a Melbourne to Hobart, and there are plaques on the bulkhead mentioning 1/2 ton championships in Melbourne in 1976 and Hobart in 1977. One of the older members of the Port Adelaide Sailing Club where she is moored, recalls doing lots of sailing on her. There are 3 glass 30's at the PASC. Conquistor and Escapade. Rouseabout and Escapade were built with masts a metre taller than the others. I know there are 2 more 30's at the RSAYS (1 is Trochus)and another in Port Lincoln (Redback). Any info I can get on the design would be great.

3. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

4. rouseabout

rouseabout New Member

Rouseabout in flight.....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. M Spencer

M Spencer Junior Member

If im not wrong , the mould was done in Perth , a few ( 5 ? ) hulls taken from it , and sent to NZ in unuseable condition . It was further damadged twice in NZ after repairs , due to the contractor in Henderson useing cheap labour .

Was a joint project with Terry Barrett .brought on by timber shortages in the early seventies and other politrical issues ( piggy muldoon )
    All the accesable timbers in Burma etc had been looted , there was massive inflation in prices , and a ' Luxury Tax ' was slapped on boats .

A expenssive waste of time , as far as profitability went , due primarily to unreliabilty & incompatace on the contracts .In both countries .

Somewhat of a rarity . About a dozen total before the mould was U/S or
    uneconomical to repair & had drained all working capital . FUDGE .

1 person likes this.
  6. M Spencer

M Spencer Junior Member

Im sure he would be pl;eased to see it in good hands .

Would be worth haveing a yarn to Don Senior ( boats ) His Father was in overall charge of ' the Seniors ' Building it , in the Deveonport bus sheds .

Launched in Devenport , by crane .

Designed as a Ocean Racer / Tourer .

" When a group of keen young blokes , a sindacte or the like , get hold of it , they'll finnally get it to go right . It'll probably be 20 or 25 years before they can afford it , These Rich . . . mutter fume etc "

" 25 knots breeze = " thats finally starting to get it moveing nicely " ( sailing in a Stilleto ) . therefore 20 to 40 knot winds would be utilized regarding trimming / set up .

Capeable of handling any sea ( designed to )

Dont go altering anything substantial without good reason .
    And keep a sextant . New World was sunk by screwball Sat. Nav. Hit a reef it was ' two miles off ' so dont go getting all fancy with the electronics .

And meat pies were trippance !

Its a fearfully modern boat . It was designed after the war . :p

7. Black Panther

Black Panther New Member

Another (brand new) Spencer owner here. I'd love any info /photos that people may be holding on Black Panther

Attached Files:

• BP12.jpg
      BP12.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

My belief is that Black Panther is a version of New World? When/where was she built and launched? I assume she's quite a bit heavier than New World?

9. Black Panther

Black Panther New Member

Built by Hall and Hart NZ 1996. Displ 12000kgs.19m.

10. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

Contact for Spencer designs

Black Panther, Peter Tait who runs firebug.co.nz has much of Spencer's archive. I think you will find him most informative.

Great boat have a wonderful time with her..

11. Black Panther

Black Panther New Member

Thanks, email sent, and I notice a photo of my boat at the bottom of the home page.

12. M Spencer

M Spencer Junior Member

Glad its still in NZ . Is some double inuendo if its still ' black Jack ' ?

Was built for Bruce Bayliss ? a surgeon at Whangeri hospital .
    A freind of dads . Cost about $ 1000 thou. which was all he had spare .

Built from Good pine , out of stuborness and as a challenge .
    d had thought it worked quite well .

Id had a spin on it in one of the B.O.I. races , in light air / tough was feeling off myself .

Were have you it based ??

Peter tate should still have plans , and may know more .

http://www.firebug.co.nz/

My email is aircthech@yahoo.co.nz

Matthew Spencer .

13. Uenuku

Uenuku New Member

I can't PM/email you but would be really interested in the plans for a Serendipity if you have them?

14. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I almost purchased a large version of the diamond. I am not sure if it was designed like this or if someone just thought they would make a diamond but bigger. I forgot how long it was, but I think it was over 35 foot. It was in Sandgate (Brisbane AU) and it was called "Rum Smuggler". It looked like a awesome boat but it was full of rot. I think I may have even started a thread about it here.

15. fritz.hu

fritz.hu New Member

Hi there,

We recently bought a Spencer Sabre 30 - lovely boat - "On a Wing". Trying to track down some history on it, we don't have original sail numbers or anything. It has a stern-hung rudder and has been modified with a winged keel for reduced draught. Would anyone possibly know anything about this boat?

Cheers!
    Fritz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.