John Spencer/ Ratime

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Ron Cook, Mar 4, 2009.

1. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Buccaneer's compound ply curves

Sorry Whoosh, unlike your diplomacy, I am very impolite - but you were wrong, cobber, that is the correct Buccaneer body plan drawing I posted. I dug around in my back shed and came up with these.
    Ron, couldn't find any Ragtime/Infidel lines but here is an isometric drawing.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

great!! sorry I was wrong, anyways good to see her
    So much compound Someone said flare, but flare is concave clipper effect.
    good to here from the others too

4. Guest62110524

ok so she left Aus, where is was owned by sailing school, then to Ca.?

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

After sitting with no apparent movement on the porject for maybe 5 years Bucc disappeared from Long Beach marina. I have no idea where it went after that. That was probably in the 1980s.

6. Guest62110524

ah ha but where are her buckin ears? whoops Buccaneers? is the original sailing master still around? Come on Gary you will ferret them out

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Back to Ragtime.

Could Alan tell you where he acquired his documents? I would guess from Pat Farrah, but maybe from some other source that you could also mine?

At LBYC there is a nice full model (hull, deck, foils, rig) of Ragtime in a glass case, I believe built by Ken Gardiner.

So Ken must have had a linesplan. He is also easy to find on the internets.

8. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Whoosh, I did meet for a short one of the sailing masters years ago .... and his name was........ McKenzie, sorry, can't remember mate. Going back to compounding/tensioning ply, and I know this is light 4mm stuff, but there is a surprising amount of curve that can be forced into it - this is my 5.5 metre planing skiff design, check out those forward sections.

Attached Files:

9. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

It was a looong time ago, but I think the sailing master's first name may have been Bruce. He was with the boat for eons.

Bucc was recently in the Med, painted white, with a short bowsprit and no doghouse, and up for sale.

PS I can't find anything in a dictionary that says flare has to be hollow, and certainly in yachts it was widely used for convex shapes; for example Seahorse would refer to the widely-flared topsides of Briand and Andreiu level-raters.

10. Guest62110524

you can call it what you like, up there you have different terms I guess, but how would you differenciate, flare from roundness,
    I would say that the lines above have some roundness, but no flare, it is only as we know it down here, was not meant as a correction, google flared bow and you will see what we mean

11. Guest62110524

this is what flare depicts

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  12. Ron Cook

Ron Cook Junior Member

CT 249 could you post the drawings and or photos you may have of Ragtime

13. Ron Cook

Ron Cook Junior Member

Paul Alan would not say who gave him the drawings of Rags. I'd guess it was Pat. I'll keep looking for a Spencer estate contact.

14. Ron Cook

Ron Cook Junior Member

Gary thanks for posting the drawing Buc and Rags. If you look close at the profile drawing of Rags you can see the dash chine line. I did a lines drawing of Rags from those drawing the displacement comes out wright on a 50'..8" LWL If I can get them out of my drafting program I'll post them. Picasa 3 did not help

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I would follow the lead from Guest in post #16 to see if that leads to something good.

We actually have Pat Farrah to thank for Rags still being around in the shape she is in. If he hadn't bought her, done a major re-furb (for far more than she would ever be worth), and turbo'd her she might be an old relic today. Too bad he left the game.

Good Luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.