Islander sailboats any good?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by chowdan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. chowdan

chowdan 1980 PAC41 Liveaboard

Hey everyone,

I've just recently found a 35' 1969 Islander sailboat for sale. I have no idea on how these yachts sail, or perform. Can anyone give any reviews on these yachts?

Thanks a bunch,

Jordan

2. chowdan

Does anyone have any ideas???

3. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

be careful.

Islanders of that vintage were of dubious quality. At a minimum, go for a lengthy test sail and have a comprehensive survey done by a reputable marine surveyor.

4. chowdan

5. SquireDude

SquireDude New Member

I36 owner....

Hi,

I purchased my I36 back in 1995, it is a 1974 and I love the boat. She is from an era when they didn't know much about fiberglass and overbuilt them.

Before I turned her into a cruiser I raced her in the Marine del Ray Wednesday night beer can races and managed to trophy 48% over a 2 year period in the PHRF Class B boats. Not a small feat.

I converted her into a cruiser, put lots of toys and comforts on her and weighed he down and additional 8.75 inches beyond her original water line. I have over 14,000 miles under her keep including one successful trip from California to Auckland New Zealand in 1997/8 season. Set the record for the 2,843 miles from Cabo San Lucas to Hiva Oaha in 20 days, 8 hears.

I am now readying her again for another cruise from Ca. to Fiji this time.

There is also a very active fleet of avid Islander owners and racers in San Fransisco who would fight you tooth and nail as to the I36 usefulness. as I will.

Thanks
    Phill

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They are well built boats. One of the places to check is the deck under the mast step. It is a usual place for water intrusion and rot.

7. SquireDude

SquireDude New Member

New Mast after return from NZ

Hi,

Good point. My mast base turned out to me a concrete slap instead of the usual plywood. So there were no worries. I actually had a new mast made after I had Mouse Pad returned from my NZ trip.

Thanks

8. SquireDude

SquireDude New Member

Submitt Articles to...

Please submit articles to Phill@AllIslander.com

Thanks for your support

Happy Holidays

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.