Invitation to join SNAME technical panel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wlasher, Jun 13, 2005.

1. wlasher

wlasher New Member

An open invitation:

The Small Craft Sailing Technical Panel (SC-2) of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) has recently been reorganized, and all interested parties are invited to join as corresponding members.

The mission of the SC-2 panel is to assist the sailing community in the solution of technical problems. This community consists of sailors, yacht designers, boat builders, sailmakers, and other people with an interest in sailing-related technical problems. The panel will accomplish its mission by:

• promoting collaboration and encouraging sharing of data and ideas amongst the sailing community through the use of electronic communications
    • developing public and open standards for design, analysis and data transfer
    • working with other SNAME technical panels on problems of interest
    • supporting possible commercial and environmental applications of sailing technology

While the new panel is in its early states, we envision the use of the web as a way to bring people with common technical interests together. If you are interested in joining this panel, contact Bill Lasher, SC-2 Chair, at lasher@psu.edu. Please send your name, address, and email address.

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

And we need a panel for this now?

Tim B.

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I agree with Tim B.

4. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Sorry, Tim and Cyclops, but what is the problem in having a bunch of people actually trying to help improve communication in the field????????????

What if, for example, Russell Bowler, Paul Bieker, Adrian Nash and other people of their skill happened to put their hands up and go on the panel. Wouldn't it be interesting and useful if they were available to talk to?

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

CT, it's called forums.boatdesign.net !!!!

yes it would be nice to have people like Bieker around the forum, but that's up to them. There is probably more amassed skill and knowledge here than you might expect.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, more wondering if it's really necessary.

Tim B.

6. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

SNAME being what they are (you can interpret that whichever way you want) want too do this the old way but with new means. Sounds ok to me.

The thing with an open forum like this is that the amount of posts and uninformed gibberish we all participate with has it's own drawbacks.

If a bunch of knowledgeble ppl will cooperate for some kind of greater good then that's fine in my book.

Althogh I would prefer to see the big guns in here instead!
    Our gain is their loss hopefully... :)

7. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

I very much enjoy the discussions that happen on this forum. Nevertheless, I dropped an e-mail to the chair of the SNAME panel and asked him what work they were doing and what they expected from corresponding members. He replayed and included a copy of one of the papers they have created. It was a very nice and well thought out discussion of floodable length curves as applied to small sailboats. It’s not the casual banter that you find here, but rather a paper that you would find at one of the symposiums. I think it’s worthwhile work and different enough from this forum, which after all is a discussion group that does not summarize and publish its work, or have peer review. The forum is nice for a quick question or to share an opinion, but useless for research or organized study on a particular question.

It always amazes me that whenever something new pops up, the first reaction is usually negative. Moreover, that reaction always pops up before anyone checks out the facts of the matter. Why is that?
    Robert Gainer

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Our governments, industries, law associations are full of these so called " Blue Ribbon Panels". And they still have not LEARNED to communicate? How is a new idea to be rapidly assessed and put into society while they are still deciding who shall decide a protocol. Go to paid lunches and call it a sucessfull meeting.

9. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

The other issue here is that a T&R panel can occasionally get some funding for a project. In the case of the SNAME sailing yacht panel, for example, they did a project towing a full size yacht, and then several sizes of scale models of the same yacht, at DTMB, to actually check and verify scaling effects. This work has been the foundation for a lot of our currently sailing yacht model testing practice, and it couldn't have happened without SC-2 (or whatever it was back then).

10. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

"Electronic communications" Bah, humbug, just grab a six-pack and stop by my shop, I've got a white-board and lots of pens, now that's communicating!

Yoke.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.