International Canoe Sliding seat: F & A movement?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, May 29, 2010.

1. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

In one light air race in the third video, I saw three boats in a row move their sliding seat back a bit at as they round the weather mark.

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

"...nor are they kid's boats." - How old do they have to be?

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

--------------------
    I watched the 2008 Worlds summary again and I must be staring so hard I can't see! I saw boats where it was obvious that the seat had been moved but not the deed------again. Great boats-just terrific....

4. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

CT, you are just discovering what a lot of other people have discovered. While Doug does have a fertile mind, he also has some recurring weaknesses. We all have some. For example, I put people off by writing like my opinions or debatable positions are pure fact.

I try and avoid the annoyance of Doug zinging off topic or sticking steadfastly to an erroneous train of thought, as some of what he writes is interesting. For example, these great International Canoe videos, but many other discussions as well.

5. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

They tend to attract an older crowd, with a lot of experience in other classes that are difficult to handle. Average age would be around 40+, at a guess.

Of course, older teens can sail them, but unless they come from a heritage of difficult boats most teens lack the boathandling skills and therefore the sailing thrills don't make up for the cost (about three times as much as a Laser, from memory), small fleets and lack of other kids.

6. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Good points, Dave, and yeah I certainly have my own weaknesses (and I've borrowed others as well!) :)

I'm trying to avoid watching the vid of the '08 worlds, because I couldn't do it due to a clash with another regatta and a family issue. Grrrrrr!!!!!

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

"They tend to attract an older crowd, with a lot of experience in other classes that are difficult to handle" -ty, I'll take it that kids generally havn't developed the refined taste to appreciate fun, fast, clean, interesting boats that require dedication and a little more counterweight.

8. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

It's not a lack of taste. These boats can require more experience than most teenagers have to handle, and not many parents are going to spend three times as much (comparing the cost of a new IC to a new Laser or 420) on a boat for their kid. Furthermore, many people feel (and I'd agree with them) that a kid is better off spending time on more popular boats, where they can learn from others more often, and get more of a feel for how they are sailing.

I get the feeling that you're upset with something I wrote here.

By the way, there's nothing particularly clean (in terms of deck layout) about the average IC.

9. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I agree, CT, that kids learn organically when sailing boats. The Bic Open seems to be effective for kids: fun, cheap, safe, tough, and fun!

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Does anyone have any experience with trying a rudder t-foil on an IC?

11. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Andy Paterson has. It didn't stay on very long.

12. MalSmith

MalSmith Ignorant boat designer

Chris Maas tried it as well, (on "String Theory" I think), but did not stick with it. Among other things, I think he said that the foil affected the way the boat pitched in waves, that is, the boat tended to go through rather than over the waves when sailing upwind.

13. c maas

c maas New Member

If you are still interested here is a video of a couple of IC's reaching in about 12 knots of wind. Near the end of the video the weather sailor moves his seat back. The IC's I build have 4 1/2 feet of fore and aft travel in the seat carriage. On a windy reach you will be all the way back and if the waves are steep you may wish you could slide back another couple of feet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ieKo2KlmM

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===============
    Thanks very much, Chris!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.