Ice?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Phosphor, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

Ok, here's a question that isn't so much related to design, but I don't know where else to ask it, so here goes.

My dad and I have realized that we were a bit late in winterizing the boat, and we put the canvas tarp over it today. (we own a 24' Bristol). When we looked in the cabin, very much to our surprise, there are multiple layers of ice on the floor, that extend down into the bigle and who knows how far down they go. I figure that once it thaws it needs to immediately be removed out of fear or rot and creation of much mold, but as it is already frozen, is there damage it can do now? We don't know how the water got in there, and will be coming down on that problem more when we can. So should we get all the ice out now or just pump it out as soon as it thaws?

Definitely gonna cover it much sooner in the future too.

2. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Thaw and refreeze can do damage. Unless there is absolutely no chance of it melting and refreezing I'd get it out.

3. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

oki doki. Thanks.

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Nuff said! The man's right

5. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

That's what I was afraid of but I wanted to verify.

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

If this is a wooden boat the greatest danger of structural damage is if it has a planked up skeg. Ice in this area as it expands can force the plank fasteners to loosen or worse. Areas where the bottom has moderate or little slope will not likely be much of a problem. And as other posts have implied "This can't be good!"

7. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Yep. It really is so common here in the northeast, though. Many, many, many boats have icy bilges in the winter. Breaks my heart to say, but mine has the same, won't come out until April. It has been so cold lately, huh.

If you are looking for a bigger boat ( a project, though ) I've a Bristol 27 hull that can be had for a case of decent domestic or imported beer.

It comes with the ice!

Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.