I wonder??

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Cliff Ruckstuhl, May 2, 2005.

1. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Cliff Ruckstuhl Junior Member

Being a long time sailor on the Great Lakes and seeing what the prices of new boats are I wonder if it is possible to build a 30-32 foot boat that would be a racer/cruiser for under $45K?? All of the new boats seem to be made of all the high tech stuff and I am quessing that is what is pushing the price up. I would be after a boat that has a tiller with the wheel as an option, that would be a mast head rig fairly large cockpit and room to sleep 4-5. Plus it would also need to double as a cruiser a boat that my wife and I could spend 2 weeks vaction on.

I would want nothing real fancy with it's construction and something that would perform real well. Have a draft of around 5 -5'1/2 feet something I could take out and race with the guys and something a family guy could use for his family. Is this possible? Would be cool to buy a new boat like a C & C 99 but I just not sure where I buried that $100K in the back yard.

Cliff

2. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Cheaper to renovate

Check out the auctions at Bent Boat or us auctions (same site). This is the clearing house for Insurance write-offs. There is a maxi comming up for auction in two weeks that could be converted to a cruiser for half the money you are talking about spending to build new. Then you would have a boat that was org. designed to race, but you add whatever cruising comforts you want.

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

The price of a boat is really primarily a function of the cost of labor more than materials. Hull and deck often doesn't account for more than 1/4 of the total cost.

Yokebutt.

4. bullfrog

bullfrog Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.