I want to start building my own sailboat...

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by madalin, Jun 29, 2006.

1. dimitarp

dimitarp Junior Member

Hi,
    I have a desing firm for wind yachts

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

This is what I'd do:

1.) Build a plywood pram dinghy. Your going to need one for your cruising plans anyway. Build one with a sailing rig, so you can learn to sail on it as well. If it is an ornery cuss to sail, all the better. If you go no further than this, you will have at least built your own boat and learned how to sail on it. Plywood pram dinghy plans are easy to come by. The big plans merchants, Clark Craft and Glen L, have such plans for a very reasonable price.

2.) Buy a couple of boat building books for building boats of your favorite matterial. Wood (plywood, cold molded,plank)? Fiberglass (solid or cored)? Steel? "Buehler's Back yard Boat Building" is a book I would definetly buy.
    And probably first.

3.) Read accounts of others who have done what you want to do. Pay special attention to their problems. What broke and why did it break? How did they fix it? Then, imagine yourself in thier possition.

4.) Try to keep in mind that the three biggest priorities for a budget ocean cruiser should be.
    a.) sea worthiness,
    b.) comfort,
    c.) durability, and ease of maintenence and repair.

You notice that 'performance' is not even on the list. To be 'sea worthy', a boat must be able to make windward progress in rough conditions. It does not have to win races, but it does have to be able to carry an inordinate amount of stores, supplies, and souveniers without complaint.

A long, shallow keel comes in handy too when it comes time to paint the bottom and you don't have haul out money in hand. The bottom could then be painted between tides.

Standing rigging that I could replace myself and sails that I could at least repair myself would also be helpful. Anything I can do myself is that much less I have to pay in expensive yard bills and that much more in my cruising kitty.

It's things like these that I would be thinking of.

Bob

PS- Your boat will probably be 3 to 5 tons and from the mid twenties to low thirties in length in feet.

3. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi Madalin, welcome to the forum and the passion we all have.
    The advice in the previous posting by Sharpii2 is exactly what I would suggest.
    At the moment find your self the plan you like, and build it and sail it. In the meantime hang around yacht clubs and ask questions, go out and crew. You would be surprised how many skippers are short of crew, and will snap you up.

Then read and read some more. The Gougeon book should by all reports should be fantastic if wood is your favourite material. Good luck! :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.