Hull speed calculation

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Mychael, May 26, 2006.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Not sure if this is a question I am going to regret asking.

My boat (Keel/sail) is 26 foot (overall), is there an (easy) way for me to calculate what the maximum hull speed would be?

It does not have to be precise to the final .5 of a knot just a ball park figure.

Mychael

2. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi Mychael, Depending on whether your boat is light or heavy for it's waterline length, hull shape, and sail size in relation to overall displacement as the main factors. Keeping the above in mind refer to Froude's Law:
    http://www.boats.com/boat-articles/Design and Construction-109/Understanding the Numbers/1255.html
    This Law will give you a maximum for a keel sailcraft assuming that it does not surf down a wave or commence planing. Sounds like around 6.5 knots should be definitely achievable, perhaps a little more.

3. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Thanks for the link.. Looking at it all I'm sorry I asked. hahhah.

The 6.5 knots you've quoted is close enough for me.

Mychael

4. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Remember, Froude "hull speed" has nothing to do with the maximum speed atainable by a vessel, it will only give you the approximate speed of the first "hump" in the resistance curve. If you have enough power, you will climb over that hump. Depending on several factors, such as length/displacement ratio, sail area/displacement ratio, and stability ratio; speed under sail may be significantly higher.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.