Hull Repair

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by devindamarko, Jan 3, 2006.

1. devindamarko

devindamarko Junior Member

Looking for some advice, Ive recently aquired a 40 ft. sailboat from hurricane Katrina. The only thing is a large section has been cut into the hull. My thing is I want to put these fiberglass sections back into place and wondering the best way to do so. Ive heard that an epoxy should be used, then I was thinking of fiberglassing inside and out over the epoxy. Iam looking for strength and durability. If anyone can give me some advice on what epoxy to use and the best way to do this, it will be appreciated and also if anyone out there has an idea of a better method to do this, I certainly appreciate it.

2. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

Yhe first question would be how big of a hole? A pic might help.
    Now to the epoxy thing be care ful there is a golden rule to follow, epoxy will stick to ployester but polyester will NOT stick to epoxy. I'm not a fibreglass guy and there are alot of expertise on this subject and I'm sure you wil get alot of info on this thread to help you out but I do know that they will ask for a pic and location of the repair you are looking to do.

3. devindamarko

Size of hole

Bruce,
    Thanks for the advice. The size of the hole is appox. about 4 ft by 6 ft in 3 pieces of fiberglass like a jigsaw puzzle on her port side extending down toward her keel below the water line, they cut into the hull to get to the diesel motor. Iam not sure about what kind of fiberglass it is but I do know its solid thru close to 3/4 to 1 inch thick and I know the boat came from the 70s if that helps. I didnt get to take any pics yet but will be down in the hurricane hit area this weekend and attemp to start doing the repairs and get some photos before that BIG goal comes around of putting her back in the water. The thing is thats shes in a lot in the middle of a neighborhood about a hundred ft from the bayou on her side and has to be moved to a temp place and from what I can afford at the moment is putting her in the bayou til I can get her dry docked in the future for permanit repairs. Even a temp. repair would satisfy me at the moment.
    I Thank everyone out there for any advice and ideas of the large task that Iam going to see thru to meet that dream I have of sailing her in the Gulf one day.

Devindamarko (Mark)

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That's a wee bit more then just a hole. It sounds like it's been severely compromised, structurally. You could slap on some strips of plywood, bonded with epoxy, but you appear to be a reasonably inexperienced person in regard to these types of repairs. This isn't what I'd recommend for a backyard repair kind of guy to take on as a project, particularly if you intend to refloat her quickly and can't be there, to keep an eye on her ability to hold the wet stuff, on the outside of the hull. Even a down and dirty, low buck approach, using ripped sections of ply would be a sizable undertaking. Boats that are badly damaged and refloated quickly, with stop gap repairs, typically sink pretty soon after, without substantial attention or rather experienced folks performing the quickie repair.

You have to ask yourself, if the method of equipment removal was stabbing her with a chain saw, what is this 30+ year old yacht truly worth. Was she declared "Salvage"? Was she surveyed? Repowering her alone will cost thousands of dollars. This is a major commitment of time, materials, cash and effort, requiring many skills, tools, methods and techniques.

In short you should strongly consider jacking her upright, shoring her up as best as you can for over the road transport and have her trucked to a storage area, where she can be put on stands or in a cradle and have repairs preformed in a safe environment, where there is water and electricity handy for the many tools you'll be needing to return this yacht to service.

5. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Better listen to Par

A lot of people (including myself) have bought salvaged boats after the hurricanes. I spent 4 years rebuilding a 27' sailboat that I just "flipped" for a salvaged 38' Benateau. I had the structural work done professionally, but I will do all the fairing and painting myself. My motor was pulled and rebuilt and put back running. I know from experience that it will still take up to 2 years from this point to be "complete" - not all that much money, but a whole lot of hard work. To me this is my Therapy from driving a computer 11 hours a day. A 40' sailboat in the condition you described will take you at least 4 years of week-end work to get her sailing, but when you do it's a great feeling of accomplishment. Go for it. and when you get in trouble ask Par for help. His answers have helped me get through my first re-build.

Jerry
    (Nice to see you up and around Par)

6. PAR

Hay Jerry, you learn hard don't 'ya. I'm feeling good thanks, (okay maybe old) Did you get the sick on her and some sea time before you flipped for the Benateau? I take it you will not be needing this rudder then . . .

Let me guess, you found her in Sarasota? Couldn't help yourself I'll bet. A much larger project, all the best to 'ya. I've had my eye on this Alden schooner, converted to a ketch down there. The owners getting ready, I think.

7. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

-Hay Paul,
    I don't mean to take up Devins post with our hellos, but Devin might want to see what $800.00 and 4 years work will do. So I'll attach the "final" shots I took of the Chrysler. I will probably be putting it up for bid on Ebay. Check out the forward hatch (all laminated teak) and the bow pulpit that I bought at the salvage yard as scrap teak for $5.00. I have moved myself up to a 5' craftsman. (Looks great from 5' away. I use to be a 10')

Attached Files:

8. devindamarko

Thanks for everyones help,
    Ive recently went down and saw the boat once again but the guy that I was working with recently stripped the boat, so I started my search again, I came across a better boat(J28). The boat is located in the woods on the Ms. Gulf coast and its registered in La. Ive contacted La. Wildlife and fisheries and they wont give me the info of who it belongs to, So my question is to everyone is there a website out there that will give that info or any suggestions on how to find out the owners name.
    Thanks
    Mark

9. jhnblngr

jhnblngr New Member

search info

i'd try insurance companies. someone may have filed a claim on it. if no response, try making a claim on it youself with like us boat. if someone complains you'll know who to buy it from. lol

10. PAR

Jhnblngr, that's called fraud and you can go to jail for trying something like that.

What needs be done is to contact an "officer of the court". This is an attorney, judge, clerk, para legal, cop, etc. Their word is considered the truth (often not, but another issue) in court and they get special grease when it comes to pulling records. Most of us just use a friend that is connected with the "Hall of Records" and can yank a file, but those without this ability will need to hire a service or lawyer to pull the needed data. The fee is usually quite low.

11. jhnblngr

jhnblngr New Member

reply to par

hi par
    sorry you took offense to the last part of my leg pull. i would think that a simple request from any of the sources you mentioned would have put mark on the right trail. i have spoken to my fish and wildlife friends and they directed me right off to contact state police since all vessels (and trailers) here are required to be registered. i thought the insurance company route would be a good starting place since if the boat has been missing since the hurricane they would want to know its location for determining the extent of damage sustained . i suggested filing a claim in the interest of a quick response because i'm sure that they are so overwqhelmed by claims that a simple request for info would be put on a back burner. i thought they would be very quick to come back and tell me that i couldn't put in a claim since that boat belongs to #####. i guess i have the quick response part down pat. thanks.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"police since all vessels (and trailers) here are required to be registered."

Once the vessel is over 5 tons it needs never be registered , it can be documented with the USCG.

If there is a name and hailing port on the stern , just go to the USCG website , the owner of record . past owners and current lein holders (the finance company) are all listed.

FAST FRED

13. PAR

I usually don't have issue finding boat owners in my state, having a few friends that can pull the required records. Actually, my understanding of federal documented vessels is that any boat can carry this designation, but it's recommended that vessels over 5 tons (not sure about the weight) only be thus registered. Unless you have an "in" with the insurance companies, it's difficult to pull owner information from them (identity theft, etc.). I didn't take offence Jhnblngr, I just didn't want to see someone get into trouble, on that sort of advice.

14. jhnblngr

jhnblngr New Member

thanks. i joke sometimes and people do run off and do it. thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.