How many man hours to build this?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Omeron, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Omeron

Omeron Senior Member

Think of a 39 ft strip planked, custom,cruiser racer, possibly with a mahogany veneer, bright finished,teak decked,+ and displacing something near 5500 kg.
    Something looking like a corby 39, with the build quality,detail and craftsmanship of a Spirit yacht.
    Not a day sailer,but not much gear inside, but whatever it has,it needs high quality finish.
    To build the hull, deck,interior,rudder, electrics, machinery and other basic installations, excluding keel, standing and running rigging, how many man hours do you think would be required for a two man team.
    One guy would be an experienced boatbuilder with most of the craftsmanship
    skills, and the other a semi skilled labour.
    Exclude, metal workings, mechanic works etc, which can be outsourced,but include painting,detailing etc.
    My next thread will probably be about who can do it and at what cost. But
    before that i would very much appreciate if any of you could provide some approximate idea about the labour intensity of such a project.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

3600 hrs

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I would quote, 2000 hrs hull on 40 ft and 2000 inc everything else

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

finish

Omeron, when you say "high quality finish" the skys(nearly) the limit, the cost from a 90o/o to 95 o/o can kind of blow out the estimates(like double?), Knowing when to say thats good enough is the go & if quoting the finish say for a teak laid deck could be defined as finished when RO sanded to 120 or 180 grit, when it comes to fairing use terms like- to the builders satisfaction, cos if its the owners satisfaction & on fixed price you could be sanding for years! Over the years I've seen guys hook sweet jobs on what looks like a high price & still end up going backwards on the details. It dosn't really matter if your the owner or builder because owners want their boat in good time & builders want their dough in good time- it just has to work for both. All the best from Jeff:)

5. Omeron

Omeron Senior Member

Points well taken.
    In my country, Istanbul-Turkey, where labour is relatively cheap, and
    there are quite a number of good yards, one may think that having such a boat built should not be a problem.
    But in reality, there are problems.
    Good,professional and reliable yards are all full of orders for big boats, for customers from all over the world. (remember maltese falcon) And they would not be interested in building a labour intensive, small, custom boat.
    On the other end of the scale we have small semi professional yards, but they are more accustomed to building heavy wooden boats of local origin,
    (Gulet's) for local charter market, and yacht quality workmanship and finishing is left to be desired.
    What i am looking for,in between, is harder to find. A dedicated professional yard, who would take the time and effort to build a smart one off.
    So i am thinking whether it would be possible to rent a facility, employ a boat builder or two, and get down to building.
    These people may be retired, may no longer be actively in the business, but may be interested in putting their experience and craftsmanship in a non hurried way,and without the risk of making a profit/loss.
    If i had one master, assisted by a semi skilled labour i guess it could be done
    in less than a year.
    This person may be a local or somebody willing to travel and live in Turkey untill the project is completed.
    What do you think? Is something like that done elsewhere?Is it feasible? What would be the downsides?
    Ofcourse, one has to do the math correctly, but renting a facility for a year, renting or buying basic machinery and tools i think is still minor,compared with the profit expectation of a reputable yard.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Omeron, sounds like a good scheme, like your getting an advantagous angle on construction plans- like an owner builder employing competent labour to acheive your vessel? In Australia this is quite common to employ a shipwright for the term of construction & assist & manage supply of material etc. Sounds like you'll have to frequent some taverns nearby boatbuilding enterprises to accertain who stays sober & is happy($) to entertain shorter term employment to help in your endeavours, & advance their standing as "the man" on the job, I think personalitys are important to the success of this type of project & like I mention its easy to carry "the finish" too high, cos given the chance any craftsman will chase perfection & cost extra for a small gain in appearance but big time before sailing, around here we call it "chasing rainbows" - you can chase perfection but never as a tradesman acheive it, a boat can be ideal for its owner but never perfect, they must all hold a secret or two even if only a sag in varnish or a screw not slotted or eld that dont meet the schedule. Regards from Jeff:)

7. GAZZABO

GAZZABO Junior Member

I built a 12m 15 ton gaff cutter in 4500 man hrs complete. I had it all designed on paper first tho! and rented a factory and worked 6.5 days /wk. Included rig and motor. Depends if you know what you are doing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.