Hogfish Maximus - 44ish sailing sharpie?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DennisRB, Sep 23, 2010.

1. BriggsMonteith

BriggsMonteith Junior Member

The Bolger AS 34? I'm only familiar with the 29 and the 39(37 actually). What info do you have on her?

2. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Briggs, There is a thread about the SA34 at Woodenboat , or Bolger yahoo group .
    Interesting design but a bit complex , and a departure from the austere and elegant nature of the AS29.

3. BriggsMonteith

Interesting! the forward sections have the cross-section of half of a starfruit, with sharpie sections aft. I do wonder how this forward section would affect upwind performance without a chine to "dig". I'm going to think about it for a little while and see what my feable mind can extrapolate from this departure of bolgers already radical sharpie ideas.
    Thanks,
    Briggs

4. frank smith

If you figure the out the AS34 , let me know what it is about .

5. chris morejohn

chris morejohn Junior Member

Sharpie or Flat Bottom Sail Boat?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few current photos of the HFM out for a scrub.There is a lot of debate as to what is a true Sharpie vs flat bottom barge or just flat bottom.I would class my designs as flat bottom sailboats, with a Sharpie past.I will be posting this week about a dozen or so of my designs for food for thought.
    Chris Morejohn

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Chris,

Hogfish seems to be flat bottomed forward and that carries aft through the midsection? But at the transom the bottom appears to be veed? Is the vee section aft for any reason other than to minimize pounding (as she pitches) or noise (wave slap) in a sea? Perhaps to ease the exit waterlines a bit?

7. chris morejohn

Tad,
    The hull is flat till just aft of the chine runners as the bottom sweeps up. I did it this way mainly for looks at the stern so as not to have that total box look.The hull is 2"thick ply so does not slap or make any noise except on a fast reach when heeled water will get under the bottom and compress like a sea over hang. the HFM is dead quiet inside when sailing, but can bang around a bit in force 7 and above but still solid as a rock.The aluminum French boats do slap aft and make a bit of noise at anchor if not properly insulated. I will be posting the full lines drawings soon so should explain better.
    Chris Morejohn

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Thanks for posting in this thread Chris. I don't have any plans to build right now, but HFM is a great boat. However I am sure many people who find this thread might be interested in building.

9. chris morejohn

1 person likes this.
  10. chris morejohn

Actually if you go into the other publications done on the website it is possible to access the other drawings. Have fun, Chris.

11. p_smith

p_smith Junior Member

12. BriggsMonteith

Chris, HFM is much cooler than I had origionally even thought....Have you ever considered an equal masted schooner rig for her? I've always thought that sharpies would do well with that rig, keeping the rig low, and buying used interchangeable sails would also be handy....just a thought.

13. chris morejohn

two masted rig

Briggs,
    Yes I have thought of 2 masted rigs but they weigh more and always take up the wrong space on the boats, they don't go to weather very well and dont have the simple offwind sail carrying power.But I do like the idea of the short piece togther type of rig that could be done.On the HFM I wish I had a taller rig than I do,we can take the sail area. the Photos on this thread and on my blog page we are sailing in 28 plus knots of wind in the Bequia reggata with one reef in doing 5.8 knots to weather, but not fast enough to catch the light fin keelers!The rig I have is a product of buying that mast and rigging, blocks boom, shrouds,sheets and all turnbuckels,staylocks etc.for a total of 3000.00 dollars in 98.My next dream boat is the design #36 single masted chinnese lug rig with the no nonsense flush deck and clean lines.so many ways to go and so the ideas go on and on.
    Chris

14. BriggsMonteith

Chris,
    Makes sense...great shots on your blog page by the way. I've always been a big fan of the balanced lug, which also seem to fit the bill on even the lightest of sharpies and would provide plenty of power on lead mines like HFM

15. frank smith

Chris , very cool collection of designs . I like the motor sailor with the house , it would be great for up north.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.