Hogfish Maximus - 44ish sailing sharpie?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DennisRB, Sep 23, 2010.

1. chris morejohn

chris morejohn Junior Member

Opps, $60,000,000.00 and counting.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Okay, that differs three nulls, but still an amazing amount, congrats !

3. chris morejohn

Yes it’s amazing to see numbers like this for small skiffs that sell from between $25,000.00 to $70,000.00 each. I have built by myself 62 different boats over time and about 60 more training my employees along side building boats and then have overseen another 320 Boats in my company before selling out. Since then another 2,000 boats have been built to my designs at least not including copies and now home built ones. So It could be more $ gross but unfortunately not in my pocket.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Yes the math even seems to be conservative: $ 60,000,000.00 / (62 + 60 + 320 + 2,000 = 2,442 boats) = $ 24,570.02 average per piece.

Since both the total number of boats and their average price is probably higher than included in this calculation, the till to date total built value is probably higher as well. Now to get some more of it in your pocket in the future . . :)

5. chris morejohn

Hi everyone, the Hogfish Maximus has just anchored in Neah Bay Washington state after a 31 day singlehanded passage from Hilo Hawaii. Hogfish is going on the hard in Bellingham Washington next week for the winter as I have 3 boatbuilding projects to do.
    She has logged 12,000 miles from my homebase in the Bahamas to here now totaling 38,000 sea miles crossing the Atlantic Ocean both ways and now the Pacific as far south as Easter Island and up to here.
    Complete building CAD plans are available for her design if wanting for a modest fee.
    She’s proven to be a very capable sea boat with never ever giving us a bit of worry.
    But remember.....people sail boats places, boats don’t sail people places.
    See you next season on my way to Alaska C5E9AD12-C424-482E-BA6E-081A73D64991.jpeg 1A684103-2A48-47A9-A4A1-6956CD0EFA63.jpeg 787F5B56-8727-406D-8243-0D3EFEEBD438.jpeg FFEA1F7D-8644-4AD4-AB7E-FF84A976AA74.jpeg

6. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

HOGFISH MAXIMUS IS FOR SALE

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020

7. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I haven't read the 24 pages, but arrived here via checking up on the status of Anhinga conversations. I have plans dating back to one of the early builders, and was quite interested in the design, and I built a boat I call Fat Eeek as a version of Eeek but with a wider beam. The main flaw in the design is that while the hull did achieve the objectives of having a double end while being aligned with the rudder, and having extra bouyancy in the cockpit, it also create a heeling moment when the boat was heeled, This because the extra displacement moves outboard of the CB towards the windward side of the boat. Bolger sharpies are designed to sail with quite a lot of heel, so this was an annoying and unforeseen characteristic. Another flaw, at least for the Anhinga is that the cockpit proved uncomfortable and difficult to see out of. Basically everything that gives the hull on paper seeming interesting lines, turned out to be a mistake.

By the way, the unrighting moment is a possibility if you sink the bow also. But one would have to sink it by a lot.

Another set of warning signs to me is that I never believed the floodable compartments as drawn had the least hope of remaining free of rot or slime. And a harsh critic might suggest that Bolger's understanding of water ballast had often been catastrophic. In fairness, Bolger could not have been more frank about the fact that a large number of his designs were purely experimental.

My favourite aspect of the Anhinga is the spar. Nothing quite like it out there, and a useful alternative for some designs that tend to carbon fiber, maybe.

Bolger was very proud of his personal design called Splinter. It is even simpler than his later designs and maybe it was sounder. He toured it one summer in the Northeast, and was grumpy that it had hardly attracted a sideways glance as it was towing an early version of his Dory that most certainly did catch the eye.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.