Hogfish Maximus - 44ish sailing sharpie?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DennisRB, Sep 23, 2010.

1. BriggsMonteith

BriggsMonteith Junior Member

2. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Thats MC41 is a cool boat. But I thought with larger yachts with swing keels, almost all the ballast was fixed to the inside of the hull bottom like the other sharpies etc in this thread? I am pretty sure the Ovni works like this. I'm not in a hurry to build a boat. Just interested in the concept of a beachable large yacht. I go out to out the way places the larger yachts can only dream of in my trailer sailer and I beach it at every opportunity. The idea of having a large yacht that can do this is appealing to me.

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Ah OK. Thats how it works, but at 1 meter, walking to shore will be less likely than some of the other boats in this thread. Yeah I know all boats are expensive. But with X amount of money you end up with more boat when you choose a cheaper way of building. So its still relevant.

4. BriggsMonteith

I believe that HogFish is the quickest to build and least expensive of all the boats mentioned on this thread , though you might have to find someone, maybe yourself to draw up some plans because Morejohn is MIA...

5. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

There is enough info in what you have posted to work up some plans . I notice that the plumb stem has the visual appearance of leaning rearward a little. I like the concept of Hog Fish ,but would make some changes . I wonder how the immersed stem worked out.
    It is also interesting how much of the tradition sharpie hull form is retained. Looks like a rocker of 5/8" per foot is about right. Not sure if I like the rig, but he explains why he used it. The cost would be a matter of how resourceful you are.

The stub Keel on the NIS also provides the box for the board which you would have to build any way . If it were welded steel with a flange for attachment , it should not be to hard to have fabricated .

I also wonder how much would be gained by moving away from a flat bottom , If cost is a major consideration . If you start to make changes to the basic idea , where do you stop.

6. BriggsMonteith

Hey Frank,
    I think a cat schooner might be an ideal rig, it cuts down on halyards, winches deck organizers and would make it simpler to buy used sails for the boat from a clearing house. Personally I think that a bigger cockpit(possibly center) would be nice. I'd like to hear everyone elses ideas about how to make this boat the ultimate cruiser.
    Peace Briggs
    PS The Hog fish is triple planked AC fir Plywood glued with epoxy and glassed over with vinylester resin.(?????)

7. frank smith

Briggs , Did Chris put "chine runners" on Hogfish Maximus ?
    also the study plans show 38' . Isn't Hogfish Max 44 ?

8. BriggsMonteith

Hey Frank, Yes HFM has chine runners. Maximus is only 38' but if you look at his drawing of potential mods, he has it extended by about 6 feet.

9. frank smith

The drop board is nice and simple , is it ballasted ? What do you think it is made of ,?
    Is there a crush box it ?

10. frank smith

The hull of this North Carolina sharpie is surprising close in dimension to that of Hogfish Maxumus

[​IMG]

11. BriggsMonteith

I have no Idea what the board is made of....if the board is unballasted than the board could possibly be designed to shear off, what do you think?

I know that the high freeboard of hogfish contributes greatly to its righting and the windage probably inhibits speed The sharpi you posted looks pretty darn quick

12. frank smith

I think that that board should be the weak link, and all ballast carried inside , that would be consistent with the design and built concept IMO .

you are right about the windage , and she would be a bear to handle in some conditions .
    the freeboard is needed for self righting and the only way around that is to add a ballast keel , I could live without standing head room throughout the whole boat, but the flush deck is the cheapest way to go .

In thinking about the center cockpit. it would be a good to put the motor under it and provide a good way to reinforce the centerboard case and the cockpit could also be drained through the case

13. BriggsMonteith

Frank, also flushdecks have several other advantages, they are more seaworthy, less windage, cheaper, easier to build and who on a cruising boat wouldn't want some outdoor space at anchor. BTW excellent thoughts on the centercockpit concept.

14. frank smith

Briggs , Hogfish Max looks to have some hollow in the bow at waterline , I know that Atkin did this, and I assume it was to give some grip when heading up. I wonder how the bow shape and the chine runner work together?

Also the flair does not seam to be great enough to contribute much to heeled righting force , and to justify the extra work and weight . This bring me to Bolgers AS 29 which does not appear much different in basic concept than that of the HM. They are more barge than sharpie IMO.

Based on the rig I think that the board is ballasted , much like the Bolger "Ostar" box sharpie. That would make sense.

15. BriggsMonteith

The OSTAR sharpie, was that the origional AS 29?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.