Help ID the designer of this steel boat - Bec Scie

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by cadmus, Aug 21, 2013.

1. cadmus

cadmus da boom hit'um 1ce 2often

Please keep me posted on your plans, if you fix up Coralita or buy a different boat.

I too am faced with that economic question. It would be fulfilling to build it myself. But with the economy collapsing it would be easier to just buy a ready boat and pay off the mortgage. I also do not want to inherit other peoples problem, I would rather make my own problems and be aware of them... big decisions.

I agree largely with your comments. That a comfortable narrower heavy displacement boat, like this one, ends up being faster in long crossings because of comfort and reliability in all weather. And most the time you do not need upwind performance because you can wait for winds to change. But when one is on the windward side of land, in a storm or in channels (like SE Alaska and patagonia) that make their own wind (making you beat half the time and run half the time), I have found that upwind performance is a safety feature or is at least important to me. Sadly it compromises all the other safety features I appreciate. One of many compromises in design. It is not the beamyness that gives those modern plastic light displacement boats upwind performance. Narrow, like your boat, is better. It is the aspect ratio or efficiency of the keel. So I hope to find the acceptable compromise someday. Regardless this multichine version of the endurance is the type of hull i originally was looking for. The keel is seaworthy and would heave to well. It has no non-developable parts and the keelbox is big enough for an amateur to construct.
    It is a beautiful boat, I never let looks impair my logic, but it IS good looking.

2. daveydavey

daveydavey Junior Member

Will do.
    The yard had actually completed many of the hull mods that I had documented, probably halfway there on that part - the hull and deck.
    BTW, I was citing the endurance as an example of a smaller heavier boat, not a bigger, faster one.
    I bought Coralita in the 90s. Nowadays, it is much cheaper to buy an existing boat, and you get on the water immediately. The boom in sailing was in the 70s and 80s and many owners are now of that age, or close, and are getting out of sailing. Buying a good used boat will still provide you ample opportunity to cause your own problems but it will get you sailing much sooner. ;-) As with vintage cars (BTDT) or anything else, paying a fair price for someone else's completed project is usually the best bargain, and it will still be an ongoing project.
    Good luck.

3. cadmus

cadmus da boom hit'um 1ce 2often

I give up. My snail mail attempts to contact possible family of Dufour in that part of Canada have failed. I have not found any Ibold's designs in a multichine metal format. Any help is appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.