Hallberg Rassy 37 2008-2010 series legal case

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Sinbad, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Back in the early '80s we saw it so often we didn't even raise an eyebrow. I imagine in most production built, "thick", non-cored, polyester, non-bagged, hand laid hulls you would find a void or "delam" area if you drilled enough holes, especially if the hull was laid up in a non-split mold.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

"especially if the hull was laid up in a non-split mold."

...is that a funny statement or am I missing something. Paul, why would it be different if the mould split or not...crap lamination is very common on many production boats all around the world, just ask any shippy that works at the yards, we see it , I guess almost every week really. So often when installing skin fittings the same problem is seen...usually simply ignored now it is so common.....

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I didn't make the point clearly. When building with epoxy you can build each hull half individually if you have a split mold. Then you join the two halves on the CL. If you do it this way you can also build your molds so the halves are on rotisseries and lay them back. This allows you to work on the largest surfaces in a less vertical orientation and therefore the laminates are less prone to sag under their own weight.

As I mentioned earlier, back in the early '80s voids/delams were also so common it was basically ignored. In those days I had a factory-supplied bevel cutter for the Signet through-hull fittings. Most people didn't. So whenever I was working in a yard I would become quite "popular" and would end up cutting through hull holes in all sorts of boats, power and sail. I would find some void or delam in a high percentage of the thicker, solid laminates.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Perhaps this is why the " JUDGE " sided with Halberg Rassy on the laminate issue....its industry standard !. Must be difficult for a boatbuilder to defend themselves against class action.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...thanks Paul, understand what you mean now, Ta, John

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

michael, certainly not "industry standard " at all, but unfortunately often found......a bit hard to separate when you see so much of it, but that does not make it right.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hard to say Landlubber. About the only time I ever see a surveyor go over a production built yacht is when there is a serious issue to be addressed. Who would waste their hard earned money having a Bavaria 32 forensic surveyed before purchase ? Again, Im not really aware of production laminate standards and what is OK.. I do see all sorts of terrible sloppy secondary bonding handwork on typical production boats.

Right now Im looking at a well known production Catamaran in the port. The mast uses Tee Ball shroud attachments. The wide beam on the cat means that the shroud base is very wide. Virtually every Tee Ball swage fitting on the mast is " Pinched " in its socket because the Tee Ball shroud exit angle is much to wide. Well known builder. Makes me wonder.