Great Monohull Video

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Sep 1, 2011.

1. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I'm guessing the guy threw the pole over so that the following boat would either run over it or have to do a little pierouette or something. The boat behind could have been blanketing him on the previous run.......... Or maybe the pole guy had tripped over it and inflicted pain on his shin bone whereupon he threw it overboard in an angry attempt to drown the offending pole.

I'm curious about the main rig. I do not mean to be nit picky, just trying to learn what is up with that layout. Getting the head knocker up is a commendable idea. After that the questions begin. The main sheet is arranged so that the sheet will displace the foot of the sail when on stbd. The block positions will tend to bend the boom in a favorable direction on port but unfavorably on starboard. If it bends very much then outhaul adjustment might be needed periodically. Puzzle?

Lastly, I wonder what the boats average fleet position is. If the crew is better, stronger and lighter than the other crews then they'll finish well most of the time anyway.

(Back in medieval times, when I was a competitive sailor, I had built a telescoping pole that expanded instantly to be deployed. It worked very efficiently and took up much less space in the boat when collapsed. Adjustable too. It could be used either as a whisker pole or spinnaker jammer)

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I posted this in the Great Multihull video thread but think there is something for everyone in this video who is interested in sailing it's of the Grand Prix Guyader in 2012.

http://youtu.be/I2BTdlF02Qs

3. Vagabundo II

Vagabundo II Junior Member

Just thought I'd introduce the Vagabonds and a Classic to this modern circle. In antigua at the moment. On our way back to the med soon for the regatta season. A short clip of leg 4 of our voyage last year.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=50YTfBWhZRI

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

On a fitted dingy the boat is trailed by a support boat. You start with six crew and as conditions permit the crew are ordered to jump overboard with any heavy gear to lighten the boat. a boat may cross the finish line with only the helmsman and one bailer left.

http://[​IMG]

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

A Scow

I've never sailed an A Scow(38'), but crewed on the super E scow(28'). Here is an A scow video:
    http://vimeo.com/69294296

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Big Boys Gone Bad

I wouldn't really call this great monohull video-it is astonishing in the gross carelessness of the Melges 32's and the race management for putting Opti's and Melges 32's in the same place at the same time. Damn lucky no rugrats were killed. More of the story on SA.
    http://vimeo.com/70211210

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Vagabundo II

Vagabundo II Junior Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.