Good Books

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Oliver Moore, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Oliver Moore

Oliver Moore Junior Member

Here’s the deal: I'm in college and I think I am going to be able work it so that school will let me make an independent study out of building an A-class catamaran for the month of January . The only problem is they want a certain amount of academic rigor in independent studies so my way around this is to provide a sizable reading list on boat design, and all the technical stuff that goes along with high performance sailboats. Then write a paper about it. Where I could use some help is in compiling the list of books, I was going to start with Bethewait and go from there, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

One problem with Larson & Eliasson is that they try to cover "everything" in one book while you normally would need many books...

4. Oliver Moore

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

6. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Marchaj's Aero-hydrodynamics of sailing of course, mainly for rig and sail design...I assume you need to provide justification for your design decisions, i.e. that what you did is correct because of "x, y, and z...."

7. Oliver Moore

I think thats the way I'm going to attack it.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Design etc

You might also look at "Design of Sailing Yachts " by Pierre Gutelle. And for some background on the technical end of using composites in any design look at "The Elements of Boat Strength" by Dave Gerr and "Marine Composites" by Eric Greene and Associates(second edition).
    And, ah, good luck on the cat.....(why not an IC to the "new" rule??)

====================
    Also look on page 6 of this forum under the thread "Looking for books" for more reading....

9. Oliver Moore

I've got to get in on the Thursday night action down at bristol yacht club. I'm sure a new IC will follow in time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.