Gambrian 34

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by doty, Feb 29, 2004.

1. doty

doty New Member

My friend, a novice sailor, is considering purchasing a '72 Gambrian 34. The current owner has been living on it for about 10 years. Knowing that it will need some work, I'm looking for basic information on this model for my friend to pass on to him.

2. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

I wonder if you mean a Grampian 34. (Never heard of Gambrian).

If so, the Grampians were built in Canada, mostly to the designs of Alex McGruer. They were a 'price built' boat and lacked the details of more up-market boats. Since there are plenty of them around, I guess they were pretty sturdy. As is usual with older designs, some look pretty good, and some look pretty tired after 25 years of use.

3. doty

doty New Member

Sorry about the typo. It is a Grampian 34. Thanks for the feedback. Apparently, the engine, which hasn't been used in while, has seized. So we know that is in need of repair/replacement. So now it's just a matter of what else it will need before deciding whether to purchase it or not.

4. wwheeler

wwheeler Junior Member

Boatforsale.net has the following price data in its "Valueguide":

Grampian 30 1974 20,000 25,900 30,000
    Grampian 30 1975 24,900 31,266 37,000

Not the same boat, but may be useful, since it's based on actual sales. The columns are low range, mid range, high range. The actual condition of the boat may be a guide to where it falls in the range.

They also have a bunch for sale.

Grampian 30 1971
    (Tall rig) Draws attention. Freshly painted, nearly new upholstery, dodger, expensive stereo system, good sailinventory, more. Ward Yachts Inc. Reduced to
    CDN $25,000
    (416) 363-0827
    E-mail: boats@wardyachts.com
    Web: www.wardyachts.com

Jump to top of page

Grampian 30 1973
    Exceptional version of this popular roomy cruiser. For further information call Pat Sturgeon Yachts or visit our website.
    CDN $34,900 neg
    (416) 253-5335
    E-mail: sales@patsturgeonyachts.com
    Web: www.patsturgeonyachts.com

Grampian 31 Classic Ketch 1967
    31' x 8'4" x 4'6". 3 cylinder DSL, FWC, 800 hours, roller furling, spinnaker, Mizzen staysail, Autohelm, GPS, five opening ports, wood burning fireplace, bronze winches and deck hardware. Very good condition, many upgrades and improvements. Ready for offshore.
    CDN $24,000
    (705) 728-3458 anytime
    E-mail: ecowan@rogers.com

5. doty

doty New Member

That's great information and a good resource. Thanks much.

6. Brad Kelneck

Brad Kelneck Junior Member

Sea Drive is correct - the Grampian 34 was built in Ontario, Canada and designed by Alex McGruer. They were indeed 'built to a price' and had particular susceptibility to deck delamination. They were available as a hideous center cockpit design and, as the Grampian 2-34, in a more attractive and functional aft cockpit configuration. They were not particularly fast, but were roomy and reasonably priced.
    Brad Kelneck

7. Marty

Marty Guest

Grampian 34

I have a 34 and owned it for seveal years, info available is scarce,
    contact marty@shorenet .net

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.