Fractional rig sails

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DMM, Oct 18, 2008.

1. DMM

DMM New Old One-Ton Owner

I have just gotten back into sailboat racing after a 10-year hiatus. I find that I do not know as much about sails as I used to.

Just (2 weeks ago) bought a 25-year-old X-Yachts 1-ton. Its a 7/8th rig, 40 ft long, 13 ft wide, 13,200 lbs, P=51.5 ft E=19ft. It came with a truck load of old sails, but nothing modern, and I believe I will have to replace quite a few sails, certainly the main, H1 and M1, possibly the L1, 2 and 3.

I will do my own research, but would appreciate any opinions on the relative benefits of modern sail materials and construction. In particular, I am wondering about the benefits of molded-in-shape (i.e. 3DL) for a highly adjustable mainsail where I can and must change the shape.

Not afraid to spend some money here, but not thrilled by the idea of experimenting at $8000 per try.

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

If you really are serious about getting the old girl sailing well, then ask around amongst local sailors. Find out which loft has 'the time' for sailors like you (or 'me'!) and then cultivate a relationship with them.

If the recommended loft are any good, they will work with you to find out what you've got, look at your crew, sailing waters, likely weather conditions and your racing aspirations before recommending how to spend (a lot of) your money with them to get the biggest benefit for a given outlay.

As a rule, I wouldn't bother with moulded sails unless I was in a one design class that 'required' them, or had done enough sail testing and other improvements to the boat to know that the sail would be spot on. There are plenty of other ways of building a modern, high tech sail that are cheaper and more adaptable if needs be.

My recommendation round here would be Steve Goacher Sails, but his travel costs to you would rather mitigate his otherwise keen prices and peerless service!

3. DMM

DMM New Old One-Ton Owner

Thanks Crag, your thoughts echo my own, in particular re 3DL.

'Round here, it is either UK or North, both of whom have competent reps competing in my fleet, but the real design talent is 300 miles away. UK brags on the 1-Ton success of their Consodine loft (near Chicago), but even if that's for real, it is in 1-tonners of modern design, a good deal different from mine, and probably not directly relevant.

"If the recommended loft are any good, they will work with you to find out what you've got, look at your crew, sailing waters, likely weather conditions and your racing aspirations before recommending how to spend (a lot of) your money with them to get the biggest benefit for a given outlay."

Hear, hear. But not really an option right now. Winter is closing in. Your unspoken assumption is right of course... I should wait until Spring to spent money, and then make the rock stars come up here and sail the boat before I invest money with them. But in the meantime, I appreciate your assistance in re-learning the language.

4. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Don't miss out on the fall discounts. Sail makers are real keen to talk at this time of year. Come spring, they have all the work they need.

1 person likes this.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I recently bought an Olson 30 and have been going through the debate over what type of sails to buy. So I can feel your pain. So here is the list I used to decide which sail material to use.

Dacron
    - slightly less expensive, around 10-15% less that 3DL or similar
    - will last longer over it's lifecycle

Mylar
    - significant weight savings aloft, and in the hold if caring more than one head sail aboard
    - Holds a racing shape longer, really until it disintigrates
    - Easier to trim, since the sail doesn't stretch as the wind builds.
    - Makes finding better crew easier if they think you are spending the money on the program

Just my $.02

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.