Foiler Design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tspeer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Time Constraints

You might find more time to finish your project if you spent less time on the internet stating the same things again and again. Not to mention the time wasted with useless TMs and Pat Pends.

Let's hear no more about jumping until you lift off at least once.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Anonymous guest

At least I sign my name to my comments. Are you so unsure of yourself you need to hide? Unable to engage in a proper discussion because of some disease?
    I feel sorry for you.....

3. NiklasL

NiklasL Student member

So who is it?

Who is at present owner of the Monofoiler "Dancer"?

/Niklas

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Dancer is aeroSKIFF™

I am....

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Is it correct to refer to this as a foiler if it has never foiled?

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

aeroSKIFF™ foiler

It's certainly a wanabe foiler; it is designed as a foiler and equipped with foils. It started life as a foiler on a piece of paper not as just a sailboat. It is designed to fly and it will fly...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2004
  7. NiklasL

NiklasL Student member

Frustrated student turns into fan.

I am very impressed with the new little prototype (www.microsail.com)Dough! It must have taken ages to make it work though it still is small! Maby I should not obstruct you from working with the boats. Hope you make a lot of progress!
    /NL

8. National3434

National3434 Junior Member

Winsurfing foiler. How do they do that?

Guys, please withdraw your claws, sign your mails and help me understand what is happening in this Neil Pryde marketed foiling windsurfer.

See http://neilprydemaui.com/itemDetails.php?id=48 for the full sales pitch.
    I have attached a pic of the foiler in action and a picture of it on the beach. (will this appear in the message I wonder, look on the URL for them if that is easier).
    The foil system seems similar to that used on the Air Chair, a kind of wing and tailplane arrangement. But to have resolved all the forces and achieved stability seems quite an ...achievement. It ought to be rather draggy and of course the fact that it can fly does not neccessaraly mean it is any faster than a planing board in the same conditions. Certianly looks good.

Attached Files:

9. Wardi

Wardi Senior Member

This development is interesting and has been publicised for around 18months or so. It started out as a basic Airchair foil under a sailboard but looks from the photo that they have lengthened the distance between the foils, presumably to give better longitudinal stability, making it easier to balance, keep flying straight and faster, less twitchy etc.

The problem is that height control is completely up to the skipper moving body weight. Clearly it is possible to sail the thing but it is not easy to get really top speeds and sail in all conditions.

Miller has provided foils for this development in the past and proposed using a surface sensing canard, but it appears there is more interest in making this a "fun" machine on which you can "whoop & holler" than a speed or racing machine.

It will be interesting to see how it really performs!

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Foil boards

I got lucky about four months ago over at the Caleema site at Kelly Park on Merrit Island(near Port Canaveral).
    A guy had made his own board-very wide- and added an "air chair" foil to it. He was able to get about 15 seconds air time max before coming back down but the board was never really down. It literally skimmed the tops of the waves and had a noticably different motion (no pitch induced slapping of the waves) than the other boards. He had about three hours practice at that point. He said the flight sensation was incredible-quiet with complete control. You have to "get" the technique according to him. Speed compared to other boards was faster by a small margin than most of the boards with a couple of guys faster than him even when he was flying. About 30 boards sailing that day...
    It was an awesome spectacle! The guy never crashed once-he would sort of drift up(good altitude) and back down.The only foil board I've ever seen and really made an impression on me.
    From a design standpoint altitude was strictly the riders abiltiy to control pitch aided by the design having the little tubular extension with a small rear foil.He said athwartship balance was not an issue. The main foil is delta shaped with the tips sort of turned down. He could get a more or less steady altitude of one foot to eighteen inches. Pretty cool..Very inspirational!

11. boogie

boogie Member

hi guys,

i have been following the hydrofoil windsurfer project of Rush Randle and Kevin Ozee for quite a while.

it is certainly interesting and kind of works. but to be honest there are a lot of things that need to be sorted out with their configuration.
    they only have very limited experience in the field of hydrodynamics and they seem to be going more along a trial and error path, rather than getting some professional help and do some research. they further hold a patent for their single strut configuration which they are trying to sell licences for and are willing to defend in court.
    nice way to choke any efforts of other competitors to bring the sport forward... :rolleyes:

the foils and strut they use is from solid machined aluminum. the foils itself look more like plat plates with rounded edges... it still flies though.

according to Kevin the maximum speed they reach with their current set-up is close to a normal freeride windsurf board. control at higher speeds is what's holding them back.

they have gained a bit of control by shortening strut to 70cm and lengthening the tail which increases the distance to the stabilizer foil at the back for more longitudinal stability.
    but IMO there are huge gains to be made by changing the current configuration a bit more radicallly.

the configuration they have now is inherently unstable.
    with a certain angle of attack on the lifting foil the strut is raked forward and the foil is sitting in front of the strut. the smallest defection of the strut and the foil amplifies the disturbance. i think that is the main reason why they have to use those solid aluminum parts.

i've got all te parts together now to build a [non commercial] version of my own.

cheers
    boogie

12. GDelerm

GDelerm Junior Member

Le Foilboard

Hi everybody,

My name is Gérard Delerm and I am French. I try to work on a windsurf with hydrofoils.
    http://gerard.delerm.free.fr
    My design is close to Rich Miller’s one.
    I have still a long work to do because I have some problems with drift forces on the rear foil strut.

Boogie quote :
    "i've got all te parts together now to build a [non commercial] version of my own."

Good luck Boogie. Give us news please.

Gérard :)

13. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Meeting dinghyfoilings "grand ole man"

Well Ian is neither that old or very "grand" but I guess he does qualify for the title as he was the first to foil a dhingy :).

I met Ian in a cold and grey Stockholm last sunday. Time passed quickly as we only had about two hours to chat, but it was inspriational to say the least!
    Ian showed a number of pics of his various moths and different foiling configs over time. Very interesting indeed! So now I'm filled with inspiration and hope to complete my moth design in a few weeks. Wether it'll all work... well that's what it's supposed to be for, learning and developing.

Now I just need to decide if Im going to buy a burvill mast and a KA sail or not before the hull is done... If I buy it before it's done, I'll just have to complete it don't I?... Well it's an academic question at the moment as I don't have the cash right now.

Some time has passed since the intense passing of ideas culminated here quite some time ago. I still have yet to hear of anyone actually succeeding using anything other than the Ilett config... Anyone?

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

First to fly a dinghy

Ian Ward has had a lot of firsts including first to fly a two foil dinghy ect but unfortunately (you can't have everything) he was not the first to fly a monohull dinghy(monofoiler). That honor belongs to a guy back in the 70's (I think) who put a three foil surface piercing foil set on a 470. Pictures in "Icarus-The Cat That Flys". Loaned my book to a friend so I can't look up the guy's name..

15. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Sorry, I must have gotten that part wrong :rolleyes:
    But he was the first making a "centerline" foiling system on a dinghy wasn't he?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.