flat bottomed sail boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by woodsnwater, Sep 2, 2005.

1. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG] interesting rigging in that last link!

2. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Sorry guys I'm off to Russia for a month, so I will not be following these threads for a while. The "scheepvaart museum" in Amsterdam has an extensive library of drawings of dutch flat botommed boats. The Sail parade had a lot of the replica's and originals sailing. When I return, I'll post some pics.

Have a good time all!
    Regards,

Sander

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

I _THINK_ I saw Greek, Roman/Italaian, Norse and Egyptian influences in there.
    Interesting, indeed :)

4. Vega

Vega Senior Member

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Good eyes.

I donĀ“t believe in the Norse influence (influences are older than that) and that's true, there is a strong oriental influence, but it is not Egyptian, but Phenician and Charthaginian (Carthago was once a phenician colony). There are also Muslim influences being the most remarkable the Latin sail.

About all those influences it is important to remember that Greeks and Phenicians have been here, settling Colonies, long before Christ. Later the Carthaginian made an alliance with Lusitanians against the Romans (Anibal is still a popular name around here) and settled more colonies. Then the Romans dominated, after that came the Visigods and Suevos and then it was Muslim territory.

With all this cultural influences we can understand the large diversity of the Portuguese traditional boats in such a small territory.

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

And the stange thing is that all those sails were not used to go forward, but sideways :)

7. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Flat bottom boat

Woodsnwater,

Here's a link to a flat bottom sailer by H. I. Chapelle. Southwind I love the sailplan on this one. It's probably a little compact in size, most sharpies are limited that way, and it's traditionally built. With a know-how, I'll bet it could be strip-built with epoxy and a bit of glass.

There are a lot of sharpie plans available on the web. L. F. Herreshoff did a 33' version of one in his book, Sensible Cruising Designs. There is a complete set of plans for the "Meadowlark" in the book and this one looks quite roomy, for a sharpie. The Meadowlark is unique, because Herreshoff designed it with leeboards to maximize cabin space.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.