First Boat build

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by kilted1, Mar 24, 2009.

1. kilted1

kilted1 Junior Member

Starting small

Yes I agree

I have the plans for a 8 ft dingy that will be build as soon as I can gain full access to my workshop(still have over 2 ft of snow)..

I plan on building 2 of these dingy's.... practice and technique is key for a successful build.

2. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Awesome idea. Hope they are sailing dinghies. It is absolutely amazing how sailing a couple overloaded eight foot dinghies can be more fun than the America's Cup. You'll get two great tenders for you and your brother in law out of the deal as well.

Polytarp sails & homemade spars!

--
    Bill

3. kilted1

kilted1 Junior Member

Hello again Bill

I have seen a few of sailing dinghies outfitted with Polytarp sails, I have to admit I am considering one of these as well, there are great at multiple uses. plusthe kids can use it to learn to sail as they get a bit older.

4. JeroenW

JeroenW Junior Member

I think I will do just that :) might save me a bump and a bruise ;)

5. TTS

TTS Senior Member

My first Boat was a Tornado- Tortured Ply construction. My second boat was a 40' Chris White designed trimaran, Skyhook and the third was an A-Cat with foam, kevlar and carbon. Pick up Gougeon on Boatbuilding. Great book on how to use epoxy and both natural and composite materials.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.