First 285

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by fxavier, Jun 1, 2006.

1. fxavier

fxavier New Member

Hi subscribers,
    I have a 7 meters long day-sailer and I think to upgrade to large one.
    Can you tell advice me about the First 285 ? Is it a good sailing boat for blue water?

Thank you for any knowledge or advice.

Francisco Xavier

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Here some basic parameters for First 285 with winged keel:
    (Sail area: Main + jib ; HD guessed: 0,45)

Displacement /Length Ratio D/L = 192,96
    Sail Area /Disp. Ratio SA/D = 14,35
    Power / Disp. Ratio 6*HP/D = 17,82
    Hull speed HSPD = 6,58 Kn
    Potential Maximum Speed PMS = 6,98 Kn
    Velocity Ratio VR = 1,06
    Capsize Safety Factor CSF = 2,14
    Motion Comfort Ratio MCR = 17,56
    Screening Stability Value SSV = 57,73
    Angle of Vanishing Stability AVS = 118,38º

Roll Period T = 2,08 Sec
    Roll Acceleration Acc = 0,17 G's
    Stability Index SI = 0,7

Data from: http://www.finot.com/bateaux/ancienbt/first/first285/fst285.htm

So with CSF, Acc and SI too high, and MCR too low, she seems not to be very adequate for ocean sailings.
    Anyhow this one: http://www.first285.com/ made it safely to the Açores! :)

By the way: Wonderful islands...!
    Cheers.

3. fxavier

fxavier New Member

Thank you Guillermo for your reply,
    I will thanks any experience the subscribers have about First 285 and would want to exchange.
    I am Açoreano (born in Sao Miguel - Azores arquiphelago) and have watch a lot of small sailing boats crossing the Atlantic.
    My preferences will go towards a small oceanic boat, once I sail alone most times and prices to keep a small sailer is more cheaper.

Thank you,

Francisco

4. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Ocean crossing in a First 285

Açoreano,

Crossing the Atlantic in a First 285 may be possible but it will not be comfortable or very save. A small light boat has a very violent motion at sea this makes it less comfortable The motion also makes it less safe, you get more tired the motion makes the risk of falling overboard bigger.

If you want to try it keep in mind it is important to keep your boat as light as possible. The rig of a yacht is calculated from the righting moment. When you load lots of supplies on a boat the righting moment is affected. More force is needed to heel the boat. The rig will have to deliver this force so is more heavy loaded. First's construction is not very stong so to minimise the stess on it you should keep it light.

Safety on the ocean is a relative thing, there are many other factors that determine a save passage many not in your own hands.

5. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi: Francisco, Beneteau are costal racer/cruiser not blue water boats. For my experience with my Jeanneau 27, and a couple of friends I have with diferent sizes of Beneteau are not the best. This French boats don't have bilge area, if you take the teak floor you would find the keel bolt, ribs and nothing any kind of wall to stop the water to the corners. Then what happen you will have always a wet floor, carpets etc, if sometime hope not you start taking sea water this boat dont concentrate the water in a specif place so you never be know where the water come from and that happen to me the worst night ever. Try Newport 27 I have one and with the previous owner make one around the world with simple modi like bigger rigging, bolts to the bulkheads and heavy sails. I owned a Columbia 28 years ago, feels very safe out there not to much heel and very fast. Finally look for a boat better without keelbolts, with a good bilge area, a good mast, chain plates attached to bulkheads not deck like the beneteau and try if you are looking for something between 27 to 30 that disp no less than 6,000. My father have a Alied Sea Wind 30 the boat disp 14,000 and feel very safe in tought seas. Here a couple of examples for looking for(CATALINA 27, CAL 2-27, NEWPORT 27, PEARSON TRITON 28, TARTAN 27 AND 30, KALIK 33, C&C 27, 30, CAL 30, CAPE DORY 27, 30, MORGAN NOT SHALLOW DRAFT 28, 30, ISLANDER 28, 30, COLUMBIA 26,28,29,30, CAL T27, WESTERLY 26,28 (ARE SLOW), ALIED SEA WIND 30, PEARSON 30, WATKINS 27 (NOT TO GOOD TO GO UPWIND), BOMBAY CLIPPER 31, AND SOME OTHER BRAND THAT ARE MADE WITH GOOD LAYERS OF FIBER AND WEIGHT RAZONABLE TO FEEL MORE SAFE. GOOD LUCK

6. fxavier

fxavier New Member

Thank you very much for yours very valuable help :)
    Realy the First 285 is very low displacement and improper for blue cruising. And fortunately the portuguese guy that put the F 285 to sell, did not keep his word and lately excuse and refuse the business. :mad:
    So I will follow your advices and will look for a adequate sail-boat.

Thank you for your sincere advices.

Francisco Xavier

7. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

No problem, good luck!.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.