A few questions for the smart ones

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DNSeal, Jun 10, 2004.

1. DNSeal

DNSeal Junior Member

Hello I am what one would say somewhat new to the sailing arena although I have more than twenty two years owning various motor vessels and I have been on enough sailers to know what the leech, luff, clew, etc mean. None the less, in my early later years (now) I find myself seeking a method of comfortably spending two years afloat cruising the Caribbean. Since I believe that (if attainable and maintainable) size means comfort, I have been reviewing 55 plus motor sailors. I hope that I do not upset the balance of this site, but my personal needs; size of vessel, lack of speed requirements and time at anchor have lead me to this selection. My question is - am I making too much of a compromise to obtain comfort (motorsailer) or should I commit more time and energy in seeking a suitable Sailer? My search over the last year has been narrowed down to a late 70's 62 ft John Alden motorsailer. As for comfort, layout, storage and craftsmanship it cannot be beat. Another question - is there a greater depreciation in value on motorsailers? I am also concerned about tight anchorage sights as the windage on this vessel (it has a tall pilot house) may lead to different tendencies of other boats abeam of me, will I be required to mount a larger anchorage sail to compensate or must I anchor off alone? Final question is regarding attainable speed under sail. Its current sail plan is a ketch, not one of which is a furling system, which as you can imagine translates to a lot of work. What would be the best (ease of operation and effectiveness being taken as main criteria) sail set up retaining the ketch configuration (in boom furling, mast, etc)? I am also seeking a suitable bow thruster for those trying moments and I am also seeking information on performance gains by installing a feathering prop, in other words will the effort and cost increase the speed on a boat that is not built for speed to begin with? Well that’s it for now, any advice will be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance for your comments.

2. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

I would install as many powered winches and furling systems as I could. Otherwise you won't go sailing at all with a small crew on a 62ft boat because it's just too much work. Feathering props definitely increase performance so I would seriously think about that investment.

Cheers,
    Karsten

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Motor/Sailers

I might make the suggestion that you visit my discussion of motorsailers at
    http://www.runningtideyachts.com/motorsailing/
    I address your speed concerns, your anchorage concerns, and your handling of a big ketch rig concerns. Look forward to your questions of my concept.

4. brian eiland

I assume you have found a particular vessel? Do you have a profile drawing? Is she wood, glass or metal? These can be quite nice vessels, and certainly cheaper than new-build.

I don't think you will need a LARGE anchorage sail, but maybe set far enough aft.

I might make the suggestion that you eliminate the mainsail and insert in its place a staysail (mizzen) that can be roller furled....kind of depends on height of your mizzen mast. Akin to the discussion I bring up about the old Out Island ketches in my website discussions of a single-masted ketch.

Bow thruster is not a bad idea. Feathering prop is questionable....expensive, not trouble free, and must be utilized over a long period to justify the economy gain. At 62 feet, is she single or twin engined??

5. DNSeal

DNSeal Junior Member

Many Thanks..... where to send prints?

Gil - I am seeking a 350 lb thruster as we speak, not sure if I want to go with Eletrical due to over heating or short period of use. She is powered by a single 250 HP Caterpiller

I could send you a few prints if you provide an e-mail, as this site does not post Tiff files. Thanks again for you help. I will spend more time on your site refferencing the motor sailer sections

6. brian eiland

Staysail in place of Mainsail

In my discussion of 'Sail Propulsion' I am pointing out some of the negative aspects that can be attributed to the mainsail. One reference I make, "Conventional booms excessively flatten the foot of the mainsail, and are often oversheeted, contributing significantly to the leeway forces. I once had a copy of a test on a Morgan 41' Out Island ketch , where upon removing the mainsail, the boat lost only 1/2 knot of speed, but cut its leeway in half (from 11 to 6 degrees). A staysail was then rigged between the masts in place of the mainsail, and the boat regained 1 knot of speed while retaining its decreased leeway"

If you are looking to make this big boat easier to handle by one person, or a man and wife combination, you will discover that it is quite a chore by itself to simply get the mainsail hoisted and/or stowed after a days' sail. Keep the old main for distant trips when you have extra crew, and/or intend on keeping the sail up for some considerable time. For daysails in the Caribbean, have a staysail made (or buy a used one from Bacon Assc) that can be put on a roller furler stay rigged from the gooseneck at the mainmast to the top of the mizzen. You will use this sail a lot more than the big main, and just because it is so easy to use. Negates a big swinging boom on those pleasant daysails you will most likely do much of as you cruise the islands.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.