Fast, innovative, cheap, durable, ancient sailboat.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BATAAN, Jul 15, 2011.

1. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

This is a traditional Vietnamese type of general purpose boat that went extinct I believe in the aftermath of the war.
    The lifting rudder and stemboard are elegant solutions to windward ability and helm balance, the basket bottom makes a very light and easily driven, therefore fast, vessel. The large lugsails give enough area to make it move in all conditions.
    It's hard to see how it could be improved for the job, but tell me what y'all think.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Neat movable ballast system in picture one..... Thanks.

3. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Sometimes seen with up to 8 people on the hiking pole in a strong breeze, mom with baby, grandma, dad, Uncle Ho, etc.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========
    BATAAN, I love seeing examples like this of "high technology" from other cultures and other times. Thank you!

5. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Here's a bit more on these fascinating boats.

Attached Files:

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Yes, it truly is high technology, but even better, it's highly appropriate technology.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=============
    I've been wondering what you meant by "highly appropriate technology". First, I thought it would be like bombs vs fishing boats but then I wondered if there was more to it?

8. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Highly appropriate technology means to me the most efficient use of the readily available materials being used to satisfy actual, not perceived needs so efficiently that it perseveres for many generations of users. These boats which are so cheap and sail so fast in the catching and delivery of fish to feed people are an example, the 50K years of archery use is another, several million years of stone tools, etc.
    "Something invented by humans that works so well there is no reason to change it."
    Did I say that OK?

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=====================

Yes. Thank you!

10. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Example of highly appropriate technology. Our modern world only 50 years after this was recorded has lost most of the ability to be this adaptable I am afraid. Confronted with the same problem most of us would starve yet these guys in these frail but perfect-for-the-job cockleshells went out and caught enough fish to keep doing it for a very long time. How long? Hundreds of years at a minimum from my research to be absolute, but I think a lot longer.
    Since mankind's artifacts of 200,000 years ago have been found on remote isles (Crete for example) that have never had a land bridge, and Australia was colonized across 90 km crossings at least 40k years ago, I suspect simple boatbuilding technology of frail short lived materials like this (which leave no archaeological record) is quite ancient, therefore fits the definition.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.