Farr = Evil?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mholguin, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

That's funny.

I say BFA has been at the pointy end of the design field for 20 years, and you say he isn't because his designs never won the AC.

The people in the know believe that his designs have been the quickest a couple of times. The fact that the teams didn't win was the fault of the designer? Kiwi Magic (Farr, Davidson, Holland) was considered by ALL to be the fastest all around 12 in 1987, and their record showed that. They were dominant during the trials. Why didn't they win? Not due to a slow boat!

There was a huge bidding war for the Young America boats by the top teams after 2000 due to the tremendous speed they showed. Prada paid a huge amount to get those boats, after they were the challenger. In trials they found the Farr boats were quicker than theirs! Was it Farr's fault they didn't win? If so, why was there also a huge bidding war for Farr's services after that edition?

We could even point out that the little red boat was the quickest challenger in '92. Politics and head games led to the team's undoing. However, they would have been routed 5-nil if they had made it through to the finals against the USA. But second quickest isn't really a failure, is it? I suppose in the AC it is.

Finally, in 2003 the Oracle boat was easily quick enough to win the cup. Trade in Coutts and the boys onto that boat for 3 months of training and they would have had the cup. Is if Farr's fault Larry didn't win the bidding war for the Kiwi team?

If you're going to troll you'll have to do better than that. Please tell us what desing firm has dominated grand prix racing as Farr has done for the past 20 years?

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Please tell us all the grands prix race winners designed by S&S in the past 20 years. That won't take long.

Farr has been dominant in nearly every major big boat class during that time. Did S&S in their heyday dominate like Farr has, for this period of time? Sure they did some great boats for the period, but did they dominate worldwide events? I don't think so.

S&S won a lot of ACs. If the field had been open and level they probably would have won less. Some of the best designers in the US were frozen out by the cup holders at the time.

If there is ever another VOR I would bet that at least half the fleet will be from BFA's boards. Maybe not your syndicate's boat, maybe not even mine, but if you have to place the bet BFA will surely be the best bet once again.

3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

What you said was "BFA has been at the undisputed top of the game for 20+ years."

All I had to do was disupte it ... :)

Take a chill pill and read what I post.

In Grand Prix classes under 3 different rules BFA probably does have the best record for more than 10 of the last 20 years (1978-1986? what happened there?)

Never said they were bad, just that they aren't perfect. They do well in some arenas and not so well in others. That is a fact.

All your support of BFA won't change the facts.

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

LMAO You slam me for a post that complemented Farr?

Dorade

Finisterre

:cool:

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Dorade and Finisterre were designed within the last 20 years? Are you sure?

6. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

S & S designed a whole bunch of successful ocean racers, but that was a while back.
    Farr probably had the most successful designs out there for the better part of the last 20 years, but today they certainly are not the top ocean racer OR AC designer. That doesnt mean you should discredit them. However, I dont think people are criticizing them solely based on their boats performances. A lot of it has to do with them denying the problems and not accepting the blame where it is there fault.

S & S was the most successful designer from the 40's to the mid-late 70's, Farr was from about that time period to the mid 90's. Today, R/P is the top ocean racing designer probably, while the AC scene is questionable.

7. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

> (1978-1986? what happened there?)

Farr gave up race boats in disgust 'cause Stephens and his mates kept changing the rules to make their lead poisoned pointy ended rocking cradles competitive...

8. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

That is not the way you asked the question. :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.