Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 02-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Rep: 28 Posts: 104
Excess sail fabric in reefing

Tying in excess sail fabric in slab reefing is most effective at last outboard reef point, yet is the most difficult to reach and often left undone. My mainsail has a cable in a sleeve running between tack and clew grommets flattening foot and relieving possible tension on reef points. The foot of the reefed main should be flat but not held by the lightly reinforced reef points so I put a row of grommets reinforced by nylon webbing just above the cable for a even tension lacing line, looked good but totally impractical in reefing conditions, though tie off options greatly increased.
One tie almost at the clew would suffice for most of the annoying excess fabric but fear creating a water bag and still leaves difficult location. A continuous loop through a pair of grommets and over each side of the sail can be pulled down to hooks on the boom. First side done should have the most excess fabric, second side pull, which gathers fabric and will be harder, is straight down and can be done with one hand, lacing hook helps esp wearing gloves. Shaking out the reef requires no untying but one is left with the unaerodynamic loops. A boat hook can pull loop flat against the leeside hanging excess to windward, not a long lasting solution, the small things are so annoying. This maybe an old solution, others out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Excess sail fabric in reefing-dscn2101-1024x768-.jpg  Excess sail fabric in reefing-dscn2091-copy-1024x768-.jpg  Excess sail fabric in reefing-dscn2093-1024x768-.jpg  

Excess sail fabric in reefing-dscn2094-1024x768-.jpg  Excess sail fabric in reefing-dscn2090-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 AM

Rep: 23 Posts: 103
I am trying to understand what you are saying. Are you talking about the sailcloth that is clew-ward of the last reef tie? I.O.W. the part of the sail that is unused and not beneath part of the triangle still in use?
Old 03-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Rep: 1673 Posts: 2,068
I don't think you'd want to tie the bunt to the boom, because load can be transferred from the grommets to the boom.

However, if you had a loop on one side (like you have), and a line with a hook on the other side (or a matching loop with a hook added in the middle), you could bring the two together under the bunt and hook the lee side tie to the windward side tie. That would be quicker than tying a traditional reef knot to secure the bunt.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
I am trying to understand what you are saying. Are you talking about the sailcloth that is clew-ward of the last reef tie? I.O.W. the part of the sail that is unused and not beneath part of the triangle still in use?
Yes, though because of roach this is beneath triangle in use especially in first reef.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:16 PM

If looped line or hook passes between the sail's foot and boom, this requires a 2 handed embrace of the flailing boom which I hope to avoid. Avoiding stress from the small diamond reinforcement patch to the the boom is limited to foot sail slides' travel to each other, and is impossible with a bolt rope in a groove or a loose footed main. The reefed main is a loose footed sail,and with its ties loose enough never to be tensed, it will be a fuller sail in conditions demanding a flatter one. Continuous reinforcement as in full main's foot, though fewer supports than sail slides, would enable a flatter reefed main. Wonder if a full length batten or at least its reinforced pocket could serve as reefed foot?
Bungee cord loops down to boom hooks would relieve stress and might be cleaner aerodynamically when aloft. Little experience with it in this kind of application, any negatives?