Excellent deal in CA

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Baldur, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

2. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    CA and even the euro to the dollar looks good, wonder what the next boat must do ;)

3. ath

ath Junior Member

Marina Del Rey. Used Boats.

It's true. There are so many boats down here like this. Take a look at http://losangeles.craigslist.org]Craigslist There are boats posted here all the time. I got mine for $1,500 US (photo) with a working 6hp and the slip (slips are loke gold/5 year waiting lists). It's not far fetched to say that at least 95% of the boats in the 5,000 + slips haven't been touched in years. This isn't including the hundreds of boats in dry dock storage as well. It's very sad to see because I know there are many people who would love the opportunity to fix them up and use them. I've seen many excellent cruising and racing boats and even some Santa Cruz 50's neglected, dock lines hanging in the water with years of growth on them.

It's a great place to find a used boat very cheap. People are keeping the boats mainly to save onto their slip but after the boats have been sitting for a long time at $12-25/ft/mo, and they realize it's going to take a lot of money to restore the boat, most people just want out. I'll bet you could cruise around in a dingy, find a boat you like, contact the owner through the marina and make an offer and get interest.

Attached Files:

4. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

WOW, I'm hitching it down south and sail'n back home to Oregon with a new boat.
    I would go crazy in place like that ... .. . . . .....

:p
    THANKS for the link!
    Lots of good cheap boat stuff even up here around the Portland area.

I am a total boat FREAK! :D

5. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

There are indeed a lot of good, cheap boats available in CA -- like anywhere else in the US. But also like anywhere else, there are a lot of derelict boats too. Even if the hull and rig is structurally sound, does it even have sails and running gear? A motor? The $3000 boat down the way is probably a better deal than the $600 one, and still dirt cheap.

6. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

OK - so why is my 'puter telling me that a request for a cookie came from usedboats.com?
    Is this another fix that Jeff is going to have to make (removing cookie-bearing links), or can we keep this between ourselves and simply not place them here? Please?

7. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

I wouldn't be to worried about a cookie Steve.

Just eat it up and forget about it, it'll probably taste good too.
    Unfortunately you can get fat eating too many...

Seroiously, don't take all the security warnings from you computer too seriously. Cookies really does no harm, annoying though they might be.

8. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Not wildly worried, Erik. It just seems like the beginning of the "pop-up" era. Things appearing on the screen that I don't want, in an area that I thought was non-commercial. I didn't even click on a link to the stupid site, either, so heaven knows where it came from.....

9. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I concur with Erik, especially if you're not running a Mac OSX (based on Unix) or Unix or Linux machine. Windows tends to give you too many unnecessary warnings and never warns about the ACTUAL dangers.

10. Packeteer

Packeteer Junior Member

this is true

but you can always run Firefox browser instead of IE. This will improve your security dramatically without the hassle of a different (better) OS :)

11. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Ok, well, let's not let this become a computer thread, no matter how fun that would be :D Anyway, no matter WHERE you look for a formerly-used/pre-loved boat, you can find a good deal.