evolution 26

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jonny kennedy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. jonny kennedy

jonny kennedy New Member

We bought a evolution 26 designed by Julian Everitt. i have just started racing this boat in Lough Neagh Sailing club and am trying to get information on this boat.
    Any info will be greatfully accepted.
    thanks

2. asathor

asathor Senior Member

3. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

I don't know much more than that the Evolution was designed as a quarter ton (IIRC) racer/cruiser. I think only a few were built. One, "Absolution", was mis-rated (measurer's mistake) and dominated Solent racing about '81, winning against the flat-out racing quarters. She actually performed quite well even when allowing for the incorrect rating IIRC. If you have access to a library of Seahorse mags back to about '81 you'll find a season summary from Absolution's skipper in the "Coastal round up" they did each year. There was also a report in Seahorse about the measurement error and that may have some comments about the boat, from memory.

EDIT; I happened to find my old Seahorse binders. Absolution won Solent Points in her class for two years, so both '80 and '81 Seahorses had reports (about 600+ words) from the skipper. He had some quite detailed info about sheeting angles, sail selection etc BUT (big "but") apparently Absolution was modified from the standard masthead rig to a fractional rig and therefore all that stuff would be of little use to you. If yours is a fractional, post and I may be able to copy out some of his info.

4. jonny kennedy

jonny kennedy New Member

mine is a mast head rig and it weighs just over 2 ton

5. grumpy_gorilla

grumpy_gorilla New Member

I have owned an Evolution 26 ("GrumpyGorilla" ) for 10years and race it on the Solent, normally Thursday evening racing around the cans at Royal Lymington Yacht Club. They were originally built at Christchurch (5 miles away) . We have 2 fractional rig 26's ( including "Absolution") ,2 masthead 26's and 1 fractional Evolution 25. The 25 has the same hull as the 26 but a different coachroof allowing more headroom down below. There were various combinations of rigs ,normal masthead, fractional ,whereby the mast was moved 8inches forward of the original step , and an odd-ball fractional rig that was 30inches taller than the standard fractional rig. Apparently , this was popular in places like Poole harbour ,where quite a number of them can be found, where the wind is more "flukey" because of the number is islands. "Absolution" still outstrips any of the other Evolutions and often bigger boats in other classes.
    I think it was 2000 when she came 18th overall in the "Round the Island Race", not bad out of 1800 boats racing.
    Christchurch has a larger fleet, as does Poole, and they often have match racing against each other. We are trying to get Lymington involved in this as well.
    Normally, the fractional rigs go better upwind but the masthead, with bigger spinnakers, reverse the trend downwind.
    I have got the original Sales "blurb" and will copy it for you. Also Practical Boat Owner did a report November 1981 P55 by Rodger Witt ( you can buy copies from PBO for £3.50) - Interesting reading.
    Anything specific you need to know , I'll try and answer.
    regards

6. jonny kennedy

jonny kennedy New Member

ive seen the pbo report.
    ours is goes well up wind and point very well.
    we are not used to masthead rigging and our looking to find out about setting the rigging in terms of rake in the mast. is there any way you could put me in touch with an owner of a masthead 26

thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.