everglades challenge sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rapscallion, Mar 6, 2012.

1. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

What I thought would be the winning formula for the UFC is a two man Tornado or such, then switch into a fast K2 for stage 4. I tried to get the serious cat guys interested but none took the bait, oh well.

Yeah, I can see this race going "sponsored" in this way, if there was only the properly equipped and daring of crews.

I, like a bunch of others, prefer original rules and how that would keep things in the realm of the (if you can call them) normal guys and gals.

It's still a new race, and that's the fun in it, finding what boat will work the best.

2. spidennis

It's not so much a race as it is a "challenge". Heck, there isn't even a trophy for line honors, you get a trophy for your class not for overall. At least that's the way the Chief has it.

Both Whale and Riverslayer have buddied up for the past few days now so it will be interesting to see if they stay together until the end or will one make a break for it once they hit the gulf? Time will tell ......

Barring any disasters it appears the SB/SOS has got this wrapped up.

Pelican? yeah, he's still waaaaaay back there. Hopefully he can finish before he goes back to work, he's got a class to teach from what I understand.

SaltyFrog is out, too beat up to keep going.

Mosquito Magnet is still going strong in second place. Pure Paddle Power!

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

You guys need to start your own race. How about Houston to Mobile? Or Natchez to Houston down the Mississippi?
    The Mississippi use to be important in famous small boat trips. If you really wanted it to be tough then do Natchez to Houston to Natchez.

4. spidennis

I got a trip planned, not a race, starting on the canadian border and ending at the mexican border. Lake Superior to Duluth, the St. Croix to the ol'Mississippi heading to the gulf or ICW, then down the Texas coast to my house on south padre, then finishing by going to the Rio Grande River and back home again.

This would be a kayak trip maybe assisted with a small 1m FEKS sail. I don't need a race to have fun or make an adventure but I will need some time! 3k miles, 3 months. Got to pick just the right time of year to do this so when I end I'm not fighting the texas heat, or the windy season which would put the wind right in my nose. Can't start too early because it's frozen and then I got to watch out for flooding (like last year). Mostly it's got to fit in the wallet!

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That sounds like a good trip for an early October launch with an early December arrival in Texas. Whaddayathink?

6. spidennis

I do a race every year now in upstate NY, up in the Adirondacks, the Adirondack Canoe Classic, it's the first weekend after Labor Day so I could possibly start the middle of sept and by the time I got to the texas coast I could possibly use a nicer norther to help me along. Most likely the wind will still be in my face, and I'm kinda used to that. At least on the ol'miss I'll have the current in my favor!

7. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Has anyone taken a smaller sailboat through the UFC?

I've actually thought of a means to portage my Coal Car 12 scow.

It would be very simple.

Two pieces of 2 x 4 with a wheel at the end of each.

They would bolt to the sides of the hull, just aft the point of maximum draft, so the CG of the boat would be just ahead of them. One of the spars or oars would then be used as a handle. I would then have to pull the boat on foot, backing it down hills. It would be a major pain, but it's only 40 miles. It would take maybe two or three days, as the entire business would weigh approximately 300 lbs. (boat and gear) and I'm no longer twenty.

When the wheels were no longer needed, they would be removed and bolted somewhere else on the hull, to get them out of the way and make sure they don't get lost, perhaps on either side of the bow, making odd looking battering rams.

The bolts that originally held them on the side of the hull would be put back with special rubber washers.

Attached Files:

8. spidennis

Do it! and yes, Wizard had done this, kinda like what you are saying, he only did the much shorter race this year, the marathon.

9. spidennis

Here is crazyrussian's portage system for his inflatable catamaran.

[​IMG]

10. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Most likely the next version of Coal Car 12 will be fitted with those 'landing gear'.

Not for any raids, but just so I can easily cart it from my brother's house to the lake across the street.

11. spidennis

Here's Matt Layden's Ultimate Florida Challenge boat set up for portage.
    The problem with a set position for the wheels vs. a dolly/cart is that your CG has to be set by moving gear around, the drinking water should do.

Attached Files:

12. hoytedow

Seems that balance problem could be alleviated by a nose wheel mounted in gudgeons.

Attached Files:

13. spidennis

I'm not sure how it would tow with a nose wheel. I have the idea mounted on my model but hadn't tested it. For walking I think it would work but not for behind the bike. I do quite a bit of portage training with my kayak and as long as it's balanced it all moves quite easily. Certainly for getting in and out of the water it would be good to have a nose wheel though as you might be busy using your horsepower for the transition .

btw, nice photoshop!

[​IMG]

14. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Would duggard's Dominion hull shape be legal for he everglades challenge? Would it be considered a "multihull?"
    I think a duggard style scow that could be rowed and sailed would be fast... You coukd give it a sailplan like the ec22.

15. hoytedow

Towing should not be a problem if the nose wheel swivels.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.