dyneema and kevlar standing rigging????

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mistral, Sep 30, 2004.

1. mistral

mistral Senior Member

i'm thinking about re-rigging (shruod, forestays diamond and trapezes) my dinghy with aramidic fiber ropes instead of stainless steel wire. What do you think about it?? Is it a good idea??
    My most serious doubt :confused: is about the long-period performance of dyneema. I've heard some rumors wich spoke about quick lack of strenght of dyneema exposed to UV-rays.......and I live in a very sunny island.......
    Any experience about it?????

Thanx
    Mistral

2. dan coyle

dan coyle Junior Member

I did kevlar rope on my 110 sq ft rig, and it was fine, but I put it through a tight loop and would refasten it each time I setup, so it broke. I'm back to stainless.

At least you will be on the opposite side of the hull when the rig comes down.
    Dan

3. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

It works well. I've used it on my cats using kevlar rope. The kevlar is protected from the UV by a braided polyester. Kevlar DO NOT ACCEPT KNOTS or it will break. You have to sew over "eyes" in SSteel.
    I think it will be the same with dyneema.

4. mistral

mistral Senior Member

thanxs Ilan and Dan, that was exactly what i was thinking to do, sew the dyneema instead of making knots

fair wind
    Mistral