Do I need the mast support?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Gregor_L, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Gregor_L

Gregor_L New Member

I'm rebuilding my 16 feet cat. I have removed a wooden plateau that was also the mast support (it was adjusted bellow the alluminium tube and also had a role as support). I will replace the wooden plateau with a fabric trampoline.

Most small cats (Tornado, Hobby cats) have mast supports bellow the tube that connects the floats.
    My mast is put on a 4 inch (diameter) allumnium tube with internal tube reinforcement (a tube inside a tube where the mast is).

Do I also need the mast support?

My cat:
    [​IMG]

Tornado (see the arrow pointing the mast supoort)
    [​IMG]

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

I'm a little unclear on your question, have you removed anything that contributed to the structure?

Yokebutt.

3. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Yes, he removed a wooden deck. See his other "removed the wooden plateau" thread for explanation & pics. I'm interested in this too. I was more worried about overall stresses between the hulls. (btw, on the stability question, I would expect slightly reduced stability, but you could give it a try.) The plateau should also contribute strength to resisting fore & aft movement of the hulls relative to each other. That shroud & spreader on the Tornado pic will definately be more effective for the mast. Was the plateau even connected to the forward beam? From the photo, it looks like it would be separate.

4. Delane

Delane Senior Member

Hello,

Yes I would use a support. This is usually called a Dophine Striker, and prevents your cross bar from bending or breaking under compression loads. You might could use a Striker from a H14 Turbo kit, or make one and fabricate it yourself with a steel rod and cable set-up. Also you need it more if you run a jib, and if you don't have a jib on that boat then add one, it will really make her go. Enjoy.

Delane

5. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

The wooden deck was likely something the previous owner did. I've not seen any from a factory boat. Switching to a trampoline will not effect the compression loads on that crossbeam under the mast.

In short- you didn't have it before, and you don't need it now.
    However(!) If you want to trapeze like the guys on the Tornado are doing- you will need the "dolphin striker" to help support the mast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.