For years I've drooled over Mini 650s. A relatively affordable ocean-worthy high performance vessel that contrasts dramatically with my extremely robust aluminium cruiser ( a Reinke 13m bilge keeler ). Hence I'm daydreaming about building a Didi Mini Mk 3 ( http://www.dixdesign.com/didiminiMk3.htm
I'm in Australia where there is no established Mini 650 scene. Consequently if I ever built a small racy boat, there is not that much incentive to build to class rules. (I do fancy the idea of a TransAt, but time limitations would prevent the associated circumnavigation!).
So, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what other vessels might be appropriate for a similar build cost. Since I have a cruising vessel, the idea is to provide as big a contrast as possible and allow me to develop technical sailing skills (as well as teaching my children, who by the time the hypothetical boat hits the water would be in their early teens).
Some vague criteria
- Fast and technical
- Sea worthy (we end up sailing in 40-50 knots and large seas far too often)
- Probably no foils or canting keel as the advantage in the mini fleet doesn't seem that big especially in the context of my cruising (i.e. not racing!) sailing skills
- Singlehandable, but benefits from a crew of 2-3.
- Don't care about it being trailerable, it will live on a mooring.
- Probably plywood core construction