Data for a VPP?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Joakim, Apr 1, 2004.

1. nico

nico Senior Member

In winvpp, i think the residual drag is interpolated with a cubic polynomial curve. I agree that a linear interpolation is not correct. Particularly for Fn around 0.4 where the values change a lot.
    LCBfpp is the distance in meters from the forward end of LWL
    LCB is as presented in table 2, and should be negative a LCB of -3.28 means a LCBfpp of LWL/2+3.28/100*LWL.
    What programming language are u using?

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Oops. I may have the sign wrong. As a practical matter I don't think you'll find any hulls that actually have the LCB ahead of midships.

I'd say the taper ratio of the keel is 0.76, or a little less when you extrapolate the blade to the bottom of the bulb. The bulb is ignored for the purpose of defining the reference area.

3. Joakim

Joakim Senior Member

I'm using C language.

I had already assumed that LCB would be the % values in table 2, but using a % value in residual drag equation does not seem to fit the logic used in other equations, which only uses non-dimensional parameter derived from actual measures (e.g. LCBfpp/LWL, VOLc^1/3 / LWL) and all the ratios (Cm, Cp) are in fractional from not in % (e.g. Cp=0.54 not 54%).

I have also checked the excel sheet that Nico has sent here and in it LCB is given in %, but with a wrong sign, but it is only used to calculate LCBfpp. Even more confusing....

Joakim

4. nico

nico Senior Member

in my spreadsheet LCB is positive but i have changed the sign in the equation that computes the residual drag -*- = +

5. nico

nico Senior Member

I think that the negative LCB in % is the way delft have described LCB from the start (for the last 25 years). With the LCBfpp/LWL they are probably moving to a form that is used most often used (ie. LCB=0.56).
    % is just an easier way to write fractionnal number

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.