Das Hoot!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Hoot

Thanks! Eric and I have planned on a modified version of a Windsurfer type rig(unstayed) with camber inducers and help from Barry Spanier in development. And these guys did a good thing with that. Selfishly, I'm glad they don't use foils-gives us time to still get the aeroSKIFF project going. But for all the sailors missing out on a state of the art sailng experience it's too bad, I guess. It's a nice looking boat and they appear to have done a first rate job with it.

2. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Possible yes, practical - not remotely at the current state of the art. If you can't foil upwind and down in most conidtions its slow and frsutrating, and I think you''ll find the Laser is just too heavy and has too inefficient a rig for that.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Hoot

Yeah,the Laser isn't a good candidate but the Hoot appears to be with a around a 160lb crew.
    The boat has the power to weight ratio necessary for both upwind and downwind foiling. Other details would have to be looked at closely but I can see an option package including foils if everything else checks out. Hopefully,for their sake,the Hoot guys will have the $vision$ to realize this sooner as opposed to later.Unfortunately, one of the guys made a comment similar to :" no foils for this baby" on an SA thread. So foresight may not be a strong point....
    I still can't get over the pix on their website of the girl holding a 14' hull under her arm-very cool!

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

But where do you put the beer, and the food, and all the other stuff that makes a day on the water worthwhile?

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

amenities?

From the Hoot website FAQ's:
    Q-"Will it come with a cooler for my beer?"
    A- "Nope, if that's what you're after the Hoot probably isn't for you."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.