Dangerous designs?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by usa2, Nov 18, 2005.

1. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Doug, if this is true the Americans are DEAD - according to the public opinion!!
    This might have an enormous negative impact on the VOR!!

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Sunfish "Gun"-Log Pulverizer

D'Artois, you don't believe it??! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.....
    SGLP™ patented by Guaranteed Collision Avoidance,LLC motto:"You can't hit what isn't there"...

3. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

now, now d'artois...I hope you will only have in mind US americans, not all of us...

(in which case I am w

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Doug, I was under the safe impression that Bergalia's water might have reached you.... but in all earnest, if this sort of technology is used on the R-P boats than I must say..... I have no words for it.

This is straightforward warfare technology...nothing else - this is right out criminal.....if there exists unfair methods this must be the screaming limit.

I don't believe in the "pulverising technology" because the energy of the auxiliary engine is too small to raise any significant power. Unless........ they have a mini-nuclear powerplant on board that is as big as a small dustbin - that is used in satellites as........

What the system will do is create panic reactions in the bigger seacreatures, so they will get out of the way, with a damaged brain; or do you think that a whale of 40/50 tons will be "pulverised"?

Only in a very particular section of submarine warfare this technology is existent, it is used as a last resort to destroy a topedo-warhead- so I can hardly believe that this technology has been made available to the public.

Is this an early fools day joke?

Bergalia, what sort of whsky did you send to Doug?

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

D'Artois, Lorsail is kidding, for the good reason that a system like that would cost more than the boat itself.

About the American being dead to the eyes of the world public opinion (okay, Masrapido) North American, I have heard today that they only delivered 38% of the help they promised to the victims of the Tsunami.

Okay, EU didn't deliver also the totality and stayed in about 80%. Praise the other North Americans (Canadians) and Japanese, the only ones that have done and delivered what they promised.

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Paulo, for a moment, I was flat out flabbergasted. The point is, the system exists. But what you said is true, the system costs more than the whole VOR fleet and, I do not believe that a US company would be that stupid to supply one. But, unfortunately, there is a first for everything.
    Tom Clancy, who I admire for his huge knowledge of US warfare wrote a book, called "RED STORM" - where the Russians invaded the Persian Gulf to get oil for there failing economy. If he did know only that it was done vice versa........

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

NuAtom™ Power

D'artois, you're right about a mere diesel not providing enough power but I didn't want to get too much into it. Alas, I'm found out: The big CBTF boats with their patented Guaranteed Collision Avoidance,LLC SFLP™ "You Can't Hit What Isn't There" technology require significantly More Power than a mere diesel so they use patented reactor/steam technology from NuAtom™ LLCCCP, a company from the former Soviet Union specializing in the commercial applications of atomic power.The unit is small, quiet and really charges the system quickly-maximum capacity for the NuAtom™ powered SFLP™ system is 1 Sunfish per second for one minute, or one log per second for the same time frame. Containers and Ice are covered in the same way as logs -and in the same time frame.
    This is a state of the art(and then some) modern ,computerized Collision Avoidance System for CBTF designs and ripoff CBTF designs-in fact any boat with a forward foil or two can benefit from the system which gives serene peace of mind when sailing in the southern ocean at fourty knots with the comforting knowledge,as the Company puts it:" You Can't Hit What Isn't There".

8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Doug, if you knew only how close you are to the ******************* reality! Therefore my strong reaction knowing that no VOR rules are reckoning with such ESM systems (electronic counter measurements).
    The system you did invent (as you thought so) exists. It is made by United Technologies and works on a distance of about 800 mtrs - just enough margin to get done with a Soviet warhead.

I appreciate your joke, but don't be surprised when you hear about customs difficulties in other countries. For the US part of the VOR fleet so to speak.....

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Oh Well...

D'Artois, I couldn't help myself after reading the (absurd) comments by sharpii2 in post 68 so I thought it would be appropriate to respond in kind.....Go CBTF!

10. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Whatever Doug, what you said, so close to reality, that I thought one moment someone must have laid hands on this system. Not pulverising but evoking a magnetice field of such strength that it will dis-coordinate the bearings of any sea-mamal for lifetime. That pulled my fuses.

And, don't bring them on idea's .....

11. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

... Just when I was dialing Greenpeaces's HQ...

There goes my southern ocean vacations, chasing down Sunfish killers.

Happy 2006!

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

This "sunfish gun" thing seems more like the Starship Enterprise's navigation deflector than something found on a boat... do we have any confirmation that it exists, or is Doug playing a little joke on us? ;)

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Sunfish "gun"

Matt, read post #84....

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

my bad, doug... when i posted that, the thread only went to #75- still haven't figured out why the board just stopped there... must be my s*itty dial-up line, lol

15. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Hi guys, to bring this subject back to it's origins again, I found this interresting passage in this article: http://www.volvooceanrace.org/news/article/2006/january/tacticsofanewera/index.aspx?bhcp=1

Today, problems with canting keels and other factors that have bedevilled both legs so far will be at the forefront of the minds of the skippers and navigators as they plan their course through to Melbourne. All the reports from the boats refer to backing off, going easy, changing down early, sailing better angles to the waves to ease the load on the boats. This is a new breed of boat, a new breed of tactics created by a new breed of sailor that is developing from the old. No longer balls out and damn the consequences, but pick your wind speed, pick your wind angle and preserve the boat, preserve the crew.

There is no truer statement than the old saw that goes: To finish first, first you have to finish.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.