Dangerous designs?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by usa2, Nov 18, 2005.

1. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

How much would a titanium alloy hull cost? Surely much more than a carbon fibre hull.

2. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

4. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

The only sucessful titanium welding jobs I have ever seen have been done inside an enclosure from which all oxygen has been driven by purging the chamber with argon.You could probably build such an enclosure for a seventy foot boat.You could probably find welders,perhaps with diving experience,to work inside a glorified diving suit.You might find a wealthy patron for the project.Meanwhile,others will properly engineer a composite structure-and win.Take note of the increasing use of carbon in commercial aircraft.If Boeing and Airbus have reached this conclusion,why be different?

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Well, if you are convinced that such is the reality, I shall not try to convince you that this is not the case. The fact is that the only case where titanium was widely used in aircraft was in the construction of the SR72 and those planes still fly - no one lost.

You have proved already by your remarks that the general knowledge of the metal is almost nil lest it's unpublished alloys.

What you say about composites is true. If Airbus or Boeing could use paper they would do it.

You should ask yourself if the search for light metals have ever stopped and if the qualities of the composites are that good.

A titanium boat goes forever; a composite one....well, please fill in....

New alloys are on the way....lighter that Ti and twice as strong.....

Ideal for high performance sailing yachts. Techniques at this time not available to the yacht designers, they never investigated the metal way and stayed with the plastic way...so let them go.

All the VOR boats of this generfation are junk boats. Even before they have finished.

Let's see what the 2nd generation will do.

6. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

I think switching to titanium would be a bit extreme. There are lots of composite boats out there that dont suffer any problems. Its just when you get people trying to get the most out of a rule that is accidently encouraging structural failure than you start to have problems.

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Of course, USA2 y're right. Basically a titanium hull will not cost more than a composite one, that's one...

Secondly, it will not end up as a junk bond like all the composite boats as the VOR's

Imagine a boat like Mari Cha, but engineered and build in titanium - a timeless ship that will last centuries......and will be as fast as ...name it!

Just like the SR73, 30 odd years old and still not beaten.....

8. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

sorry that this is not completely relevant, but wasnt there a version of the MiG25 that was just as faster(maybe faster) than the SR-71?

9. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

10. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Perhaps D'artois would be kind enough to guide me to any information about sucessful sailing boats constructed from titanium.I will then be able to learn a little about the process.It will be fascinating gaining some knowledge of the processes used to make this normally uncooperative metal conform to the shape of a boat and the manner in which the various panels can be welded together without the white crystalline surface deposits that indicate the presence of oxidation.As the unpublished material is by its nature unpublished,we will have to wait and see what comes along.

11. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

Windvang is right about the problems being mostly ram related.
    Also, if Farr had calculated the forces on the supporting structure correctly than it would have been built strong enough. Composite materials are certainly strong enough, its just you need to have people who understand every force that will be transmitted through the structure.

I remember reading an article in Seahorse(?) about the MaxZ86's Pyewacket and Morning Glory. Jim Pugh mentioned how the boat builder was confused as to why there was so much structure in the center of the boat, around where the keel would be. This particular build was used to building IMS maxis which were of course all fixed keeled, and did not have the strong overbuilt structure in the vicinity of the keel.

Basically, if you dont overengineer this part of the boat, it will break.

12. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

frankly, your response learned already that titanium in it's alloyed state is totally alien to you. I cannot learn you what I have learned at high expenditure and similar remarks from people that do not know.

I would suggest to check on following issues in Google: SR-71/73; Titanium and its alloys; Akula class summarines etc.

There is a next generation metals that are even stronger than Ti, although not commercially available at the moment.

13. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Tried Google,unfortunately the search only led to obsolete aircraft and submarines.I was hoping to see sailing vessels.

14. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Wait and see.... or not

15. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

that's why there is always a first......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.