Custom build identification

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Seatrial, May 24, 2004.

1. Seatrial

Seatrial New Member

Custom build identification
    I just bought a 1982 25' retractable keel sailboat that is listed as Custom...the owner thought it was built in California.
    The design looks to be for racing. I does not look to be a home build.
    The hull number is MDZ223910583
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Seatrial.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

3. Not A Guest

Not A Guest Junior Member

Seatrial ---

Lest you be confused. The sequence begining with MDZ (A state postal prefix followed by a "Z") is reserved for the state to provide to home builders.

"Maryland Homemade Boats" company reminds me of the vanity license plate "No Plates."

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All home built, backyard construction, etc. will get a "Z" designation for their HIN. The USCG requires this of the state it's built in which is attached to the states own ID designation, in this case MD for Maryland.

The only way around this is to be licensed as a manufacture.

I have several FLZ numbers affixed to the craft I've built here in Florida, one in Kentucky (KY), one in Delaware (DE) and two in Maryland. I'm now waiting for a manufacture code of my own, as I've built a number of boats in recent years and have formalized my business. I'm now a boat manufacture! It's not as glamorous as it sounds, I still work from the same garage and barn, use the same yard, same equipment, the tax man and the trash collector have to look at me differently. I've also gotten zoning changed for the frontage part of this property so I can put up a big steel building. Two addresses, two electric meters, pretty cool stuff, but costly. It all was my accountant's idea, so if it doesn't pan out I'll put him in the other end zone facing the one Jimmy Hoffa rests in (just kidding, please don't send a few no neck Teamsters for a chat).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.