Cp for 26 foot sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Greybarn, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Greybarn

Greybarn Junior Member

Anyone have any idea of the prismatic coefficients for the J24/Melges 24/ Mini 6.5 transat boat? I am working on a design for a GP26 and want to compare my design against those boats.
    Regards,
    Peter

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

No hard data on J24 or Melges, but you should be looking at 0.58 or so (even up to 0.6-ish) to play in that range. The last Mini I looked at was around that.
    Steve

3. Greybarn

Greybarn Junior Member

Wonder if these boats would get stickly in light air, particularly running, on a closed course? Seems like the Minis are set up to sail fast in heavy air offshore, hence the high Cp, and the j24/melges are set up for fun. Wonder if I stuck around 0.57 I could beat them in light air/moderate air and still stay close in the big breeze?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.